• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cannot go back to stock speeds.

Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
650
I just encountered a very odd problem on my system as per sig. Computer ran fine at overclocked settings for 2 months so far, prime stable for 30 hours, memtest/3dmark/etc all stable.

A friend of mine needed to buy a computer so I was going to sell him my current one and rebuild a new one. When I reset the BIOS to default settings and clocked it back down to default speeds (200X9 instead of 260X9) at default voltages/etc, WinXP won't load (blue screen and reboot). I overclock it again and bump up the voltages and I'm back in WinXP rock-solid stable again....

Anyone seen this happen before ? I'd rather not sell an overclocked computer even a completely stable and very fast one.
 
Try reformatting while the computer is at stock settings.....overclocking does weird stuff to files (even if prime stable).....altho that's quite a different problem. Maybe the CPU isn't as efficient with voltage as it used to be and requires more voltage? Try upping the voltage when you reboot on stock clocks and see what happens...
 
I might have to try that. I would just feel kind of weird running stock speeds with higher voltages since that's somewhat counter-intuitive, but don't see many other options at this point. Something about my system has gotten used to running at high voltages and/or frequencies and won't go back to stock.
 
i had the same problem when temporarily going from OC'ing my athlon2500 from 2.2G back down to 1.8G. It was like throwing a tantrum because it wasnt being overclocked anymore. I think a remove-CMOS-battery did the trick, followed by powering up and choosing 'load optimum values' when first entering BIOS. Then tweak all your BIOS settings to however you want them.
 
lol, show him the CPUZ or everest specs and say its crazy fast and he will pay you more. lol if it's stable liek you said then it should be fine. If I were buying it I would want it OCed due to the fact that you said its completely stable. Take the Battery out and it will reset. Or reformat it being the kid will want a clean comp.
 
Back
Top