Cannot get XP system to get access to Vista's shared files and vice versa

baldyguy

Limp Gawd
I recently built a basic HTPC vista machine, and for some reason, when I try to share the folders on Vista, the XP machine cannot get access to it.

On the XP machine when I go to "network neighborhood" it sees the Vista machine. The same for Vista when I do the same thing, it can see the XP machine.

Everytime I try to click on either machine to access the "shared" folder, it kicks back access denied and that the admin has to grant access.

I currently have ESET smart security installed on both systems. I have Windows firewall turned on on both systems too. I tried to turn off Windows firewall and disabled the ESET firewall + anti-virus and still not letting me through with the XP machine and vice versa.

I know it has to do with either a firewall issue or permissions, but I can't figure out what exactly I need to do.

I have a shared folder on both XP and Vista machines. A bit off topic but I also have another XP machine and both XP machines can see each other and also access shared folders.

Before I installed the ESET, the XP machine was able to get access to the files, and I guess after I installed ESET is when I started to get the access denied.

I can ping the vista machine and I can also remote in using remote assistance.

Any ideas or suggestions?

i had the same problem but for me i was trying to acess XP's files from vista. All you need to do is place the files that you want under a folder called like "Transfer" or something under plain old C:/ and it will work.

odd, i didn't have any problems accessing XP from Vista or Vista from XP.

Is file sharing enabled, I know you have it enabled, but it's always good to double check. And maybe try disabling 'Password Protected Sharing' in vista.

as for ESET, never used it so I'm not sure about that. Sorry.

i have had a similar problem with XP pc's. The XP pc is the one used to install the router or used as the administrator in setting up the network. I have looked at the enabling file sharing and password protected settings in Vista.

I have yet to use vista. It should be good in a few more months then I will get it.

Check firewalls and make sure there is an account on each pc with the same name and password, might help.

Also make sure the computers are on the same workgroup, xp sp2 likes to default to "mshome" while Vista defaults to "workgroup".

I use vista as my htpc os.. it works very well and no issues. I have shared drives on my xp boxes and on my vista machine and both can see them..

When you set up a share volume on vista it will give you a share path to use. in my case it is

\\Media-PC

Even tho i know and have manually setup the ips on my network, going to 192.168.0.107 to get my media pc results in access denied. but on my xp box in File explorer i simply type \\Media-PC all share volumes are visable and accessible. one note before trying to access vista shares, turn off password protected sharing. to get to xp shares in vista it is best to know your xp machines ip address. because the vista networkd (as in xp) does not work correctly. never has and more than likely never will, too many factors are relied appon to get results. all my pcs are setup to not respond to pings.....

well hope that helps

Easyk

nats are not true firewalls..
basically i have a wired/wireless lan and i also have a linux firewall (a c2d with 4 gig ram), any ping on my lan will result in no packets recieved, so pc in effect is not there..just a step to make life difficult and to keep honest people honest..

Back