Cannot find D:\source\install.wim - Help!!

pardo

n00b
When I try to install Windows Vista, I get this error after entering the install screen. Can someone help me? My DVD ROM and Vista DVD are in good order. All I did was format my computer (I typed format c: in DOS and it mentioned something about mounting or unmounting a hard disk, I agreed to it). Now it won't let me install. I tried installing Windows XP, running XP's formatting tool, and that installed fine. But Vista won't install.

Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Sounds like you bought it from the Microsoft Digital Locker.

You need to download the 3 files and run the executable to build the Vista image, right?

If it is 64-bit Vista, you will not be able to do is on 32-bit XP. I had the same trouble, although I can't for the life of me figure out how I worked it out eventually. I think I did it on my girlfriend's laptop, which was already running Vista 64.

If possible, I would try downloading it again (may have been corrupted).
Also, try reburning it at a very slow speed. Burning at higher speeds creates higher risk for errors.

Thanks for your response, drdeutsh. I actually have an official, physical DVD of Vista 32-bit. So not sure what's going on...am still stuck. ):

From experience when a windows install says it can't find a file it is a system stability problem.

I experienced something similar with XP on more then one occasion. Usually traced it to bad ram or mixed ram that wasn't working well together. Also found one time where the capacitors near the ram slots were failing causing power issues.

With that said we need more details about the system you are trying to install vista on. Like is it a new build or old hardware? What hardware are you using? Are you sure your ram timings and voltage are set properly in the BIOS? Is the system over clocked?

BIOS settings as fail-safe default and no OCing. I'm pretty puzzled by this situation.

Back