Hello, I have run into an issue that is absolutely driving me bonkers. Before I get into the what, my computer specs are: PNY 8800GT 512mb, Gigabyte EP-43 DS3L, Intel Pentium dual core E2200, Windows XP SP2, Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW, GSkill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ ram, Enermax Liberty 500W PSU. (if you need any other specs, let me know).
Here is what happened and what I tried:
This morning, I turned my computer on, and the windows loading bar went through normally. The problem started when it tried to load the desktop (for some of you, you might go to the blue Welcome screen of Windows where you have to select Administrator or Username, etc). That does not show up and the screen just turns black (monitor on/off button starts to blink). I restart my computer a few times, same thing each time. I could hear windows loading sound when it finishes loading but just can't see anything.
Next I decided to go into safe-mode. Safe-mode opens fine so I scan for viruses/trojans/etc while in safe-mode and cleaned the computer. Normal boot once again doesn't work and same thing again. I also tried system restore through safe mode and rolled back to a few days ago when my computer was working fine.
Finally, I turned on my laptop and did some googling; came across this random thread. http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/564505-windows-only-boots-safe-mode.html - that guy has a similar problem as me. He uninstalled the graphics drivers through safe mode so I went back and did the same thing.
Voila, computer boots up normally (not in safe-mode) but without drivers. I thought I just had to reinstall the drivers so I went and reinstalled them. As soon as I restarted my computer with the reinstalled graphics drivers, I run into the same problem as before with the monitor blinking. I am back in safe mode with networking on my computer at the moment typing this thread.
I plan on trying out the Omega drivers for this videocard to see if it helps at all. I don't see it helping me because it did not help the guy in that thread. I will still try it though since I have a completely different videocard. I will post again in this thread if it helps, but once again I doubt it will work.
Any other suggestions? If you need any other information, let me know. Thanks!!
My guess as to what happened (also mentioned some flaws w/ the idea):
I was thinking that something happened/died on the videocard, but if the videocard was dead, how would the pc boot at all? Also, it says that the videocard is connected in device manager. One more thing I noticed happen: when I tried reinstalling the nvidia drivers, it started to install. Do you know the part when the monitor blinks once towards the end of the driver installation? My monitor blinked towards the end of the installation, and then instead of blinking back to desktop, the on/off button on monitor started blinking once again exactly like it did when it was trying to load windows xp desktop earlier as I mentioned.. Problem seems to be definitely with the videocard, but I am at a loss on what else to try..
Here is what happened and what I tried:
This morning, I turned my computer on, and the windows loading bar went through normally. The problem started when it tried to load the desktop (for some of you, you might go to the blue Welcome screen of Windows where you have to select Administrator or Username, etc). That does not show up and the screen just turns black (monitor on/off button starts to blink). I restart my computer a few times, same thing each time. I could hear windows loading sound when it finishes loading but just can't see anything.
Next I decided to go into safe-mode. Safe-mode opens fine so I scan for viruses/trojans/etc while in safe-mode and cleaned the computer. Normal boot once again doesn't work and same thing again. I also tried system restore through safe mode and rolled back to a few days ago when my computer was working fine.
Finally, I turned on my laptop and did some googling; came across this random thread. http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/564505-windows-only-boots-safe-mode.html - that guy has a similar problem as me. He uninstalled the graphics drivers through safe mode so I went back and did the same thing.
Voila, computer boots up normally (not in safe-mode) but without drivers. I thought I just had to reinstall the drivers so I went and reinstalled them. As soon as I restarted my computer with the reinstalled graphics drivers, I run into the same problem as before with the monitor blinking. I am back in safe mode with networking on my computer at the moment typing this thread.
I plan on trying out the Omega drivers for this videocard to see if it helps at all. I don't see it helping me because it did not help the guy in that thread. I will still try it though since I have a completely different videocard. I will post again in this thread if it helps, but once again I doubt it will work.
Any other suggestions? If you need any other information, let me know. Thanks!!
My guess as to what happened (also mentioned some flaws w/ the idea):
I was thinking that something happened/died on the videocard, but if the videocard was dead, how would the pc boot at all? Also, it says that the videocard is connected in device manager. One more thing I noticed happen: when I tried reinstalling the nvidia drivers, it started to install. Do you know the part when the monitor blinks once towards the end of the driver installation? My monitor blinked towards the end of the installation, and then instead of blinking back to desktop, the on/off button on monitor started blinking once again exactly like it did when it was trying to load windows xp desktop earlier as I mentioned.. Problem seems to be definitely with the videocard, but I am at a loss on what else to try..
Last edited: