Cannot Decide on a Panel Type...

Drakul

Limp Gawd
It seems the more research I do the thinner I stretch myself. I've read the reviews and so I'm pretty familiar with which monitors are considered top of the line for each type (BenQ BL2710PT, AOC Q2770PQU, Asus VN279Q for VA, the Ezio, of course the Qnix 2710 and so on).
My bigger problem is focusing on what type of monitor I want/need.

16:9 - I realized I don't care about 16:10 anymore, I do a lot of video capture for YT and so 16:9 makes more sense. It does however mean that I'm getting a 27" and not a 24".

1440p - There is no way I'm getting the real estate of a 27" and only getting 1080p.

That's the easy part.

I play games (PC exlusively) so one could think TN, but not competitively at all and online mostly exclusively MMOs. So I'm not sure I even need the 1ms type monitor or the insane input lag. So maybe the colors of an IPS are more worth it.

I do video editing so one would think IPS or VA but it's only game video editing, not movies. I also don't watch movies on my computer, just anime. Than is sRGB or the great color repro of IPS a must? Then maybe the response time of a TN (yikes! I know) are more worth it.

I keep reading amazing things about 96Hz and 122Hz, that's it's a try-it-and-never-go-back kind of thing but I've never gone above 60Hz (at least since CRT) so I don't know and pretty much no IPS goes above 60Hz anyway... so would refresh rate be a better goal than color?

And here some will say get thee the Qnix 2710 but I read a lot of BLB issues and I'm weary of having to exchange it 2-3 times even if I buy it on Amazon.
I would also need to install a VESA mount on it and apparently it's not the easiest install.

So yeah, I'm sure this question has been asked before and I'm also sure a lot of us ask ourselves this question constantly...

For anything non-FPS, I'd go IPS for sure. I'd go 60Hz IPS even if I played FPS. IPS DOES go above 60Hz, you just might need to mod your monitor or buy a very expensive one.. :)

Once you go IPS you don't go back!

Gewan get yourself a fast filthy TN. Best shag with your computer you will ever have!

If you are torn then do what I and many do, buy 2 monitors. One that is super fast for games and the other that is nicer for web browsing and images etc.... IPS and TN on the same desk is the only option since CRTs left us. Also make sure that TN panel is lightboost capable.

If you have the money and the specs to get more than 60 FPS I would go with the rog swift.

I could never go back to non-gsync for any game.

If you are torn then do what I and many do, buy 2 monitors. One that is super fast for games and the other that is nicer for web browsing and images etc.... IPS and TN on the same desk is the only option since CRTs left us. Also make sure that TN panel is lightboost capable.

Not going to happen, I have to settle on one or the other but since I've only had 2 TNs after moving on from CRT I don't know how I'd love (or just like) IPS or VA. That's my biggest hurdle.

For anything non-FPS, I'd go IPS for sure. I'd go 60Hz IPS even if I played FPS. IPS DOES go above 60Hz, you just might need to mod your monitor or buy a very expensive one.. :)

Once you go IPS you don't go back!

I play FPS but only offline and I'm not paying the price of a whole rig for a monitor. I MIGHT be convinced to spend at most $800 but that would have to be around Christmas.

If you have the money and the specs to get more than 60 FPS I would go with the rog swift.

I could never go back to non-gsync for any game.

And this seems to illustrate my problem perfectly. Get yourself and IPS, get yourself the fastest TN.

I was only joking about the TN. There are some decent 27" 1440 panels, try to find one with the lowest input lag. Not looked for one of these for a while so they may be better alternatives but as far as I know the 27" BenQ and new Eizo EV2736W are supposed to be excellent.

NCX might chime in with some excellent recommendations.

No way, CRTs are at their prime! You can get them for free :D

Overclock a Overlord Tempest/Yamakasi Catleap (glossy 1440p IPS) and/or matte Qnix QX2710/X-Star DP2710 (1440p PLS, the X-Star is the same as the Qnix but the stand can be pulled off easily) and enjoy the most well rounded monitors available. Thread with Review Links and more information.

go for any Eizo from Foris range of monitors, low input lag, good colors, affordable, for waht you need it is more than enough, don;t bother with TN crap anymore. Bafta! ;)

16:9 - I realized I don't care about 16:10 anymore, I do a lot of video capture for YT and so 16:9 makes more sense. It does however mean that I'm getting a 27" and not a 24".

go for any Eizo from Foris range of monitors, low input lag, good colors, affordable, for waht you need it is more than enough, don;t bother with TN crap anymore. Bafta! ;)

They don't do a 27" Foris.

Also go and try a PG278Q and if you still think "TN crap" then allow me to come and slap your eyes.

Last edited:
I went from a 24" Asus TN 144hz to a Qnix 2710 IPS/PLS. The 1440p plus the colors were incredible however even overclocked at 96hz the motion blur was a significant step back from the 144hz TN. I also tried the Eizo VA only to return it due to bad gamma shift and the right side of the display was washed out (gl getting one without defects.)

I mostly play MMO's I played WoW with the TN and then I got the Qnix and started playing FFXIV. I also have played Diablo 3/Farcry 3/Skyrim and as far as games are concerned I just missed the responsiveness and minimal motion blur of the TN. I do love the colors and viewing angle of IPS but for gaming it just feels sluggish.

I ordered the Asus Rog Swift and am patiently awaiting its arrival. Since Im very used to FFXIV on the Qnix I cant wait to test it out on the Rog Swift and see how much Gsynch/144hz benifits it.

They don't do a 27" Foris.

Also go and try a PG278Q and if you still think "TN crap" then allow me to come and slap your eyes.

It's not without its birthing pains though. I was going through the thread and people wer e complaining that G-Sync is very buggy, that their are dead pixels....

Overclock a Overlord Tempest/Yamakasi Catleap (glossy 1440p IPS) and/or matte Qnix QX2710/X-Star DP2710 (1440p PLS, the X-Star is the same as the Qnix but the stand can be pulled off easily) and enjoy the most well rounded monitors available. Thread with Review Links and more information.

I do not want a glossy screen so it'd have to be the Qnix or the X-Star (are they identical aside from the mount?) but what do I do if I receive one that has issues and I need to exchange it?

I went from a 24" Asus TN 144hz to a Qnix 2710 IPS/PLS. The 1440p plus the colors were incredible however even overclocked at 96hz the motion blur was a significant step back from the 144hz TN. I also tried the Eizo VA only to return it due to bad gamma shift and the right side of the display was washed out (gl getting one without defects.)

I mostly play MMO's I played WoW with the TN and then I got the Qnix and started playing FFXIV. I also have played Diablo 3/Farcry 3/Skyrim and as far as games are concerned I just missed the responsiveness and minimal motion blur of the TN. I do love the colors and viewing angle of IPS but for gaming it just feels sluggish.

I ordered the Asus Rog Swift and am patiently awaiting its arrival. Since Im very used to FFXIV on the Qnix I cant wait to test it out on the Rog Swift and see how much Gsynch/144hz benifits it.

So even in slower paced games of the kind you mention the responsiveness is noticeable and the added Hz is worth the loss of color (viewing angles are not that critical since I use a single monitor and always face it more or less straight on)?

I pretty much play the same games you do but you have tasted 144hz so for you it's hard to go back it seems, i wonder if I could settle on 96hz since I've never gone above 60 so far.

It's not without its birthing pains though. I was going through the thread and people wer e complaining that G-Sync is very buggy, that their are dead pixels....

I do not want a glossy screen so it'd have to be the Qnix or the X-Star (are they identical aside from the mount?) but what do I do if I receive one that has issues and I need to exchange it?

So even in slower paced games of the kind you mention the responsiveness is noticeable and the added Hz is worth the loss of color (viewing angles are not that critical since I use a single monitor and always face it more or less straight on)?

I pretty much play the same games you do but you have tasted 144hz so for you it's hard to go back it seems, i wonder if I could settle on 96hz since I've never gone above 60 so far.

Comment was not aimed directly at you bro.

For the record; G-Sync works fine just few people having some issues and dead pixels happen on any monitor.

Anyway as your not a twitch FPS gamer you would do well with a decent IPS screen. The switching times are fast enough for most people these days. Have you thought about one of those 21:9 monitors?

IPS glow ruins it for me. The blacks are also terrible. TN is obviously garbage, especially on a big screen. Speedy MVA would be my recommendation, of the available LCD choices out there. I think Eizo has one out there that does 120 Hz. Skip cPVA and PVA.

The X-Star is the same as the Qnix but the stand can be pulled off easily. The good eBay sellers offer to pay for return shipping if the monitor is defective and IPS LED Monitors offers a 14 Day return policy in the US (buyer pays for shipping).

I am in almost the same boat as the OP, wanting to get a new display but don't know what panel type I want to commit to, I have been rocking my ASUS VW266H for years now so anything I get will be an upgrade as far as quality goes, but not sure what platform I want to invest in (IPS / TN / 120Hz/60Hz / etc.)

I am all over the board on what style of games I play so it is hard to base my choice off of that, I don't currently have a plan to get more than one monitor, but if I do it will be a duplicate of whatever I decide on.

Every time I see threads like these it gets me jonesin for a new display, but then I start reading into all the various pros/cons/hyperbol of all the types of panels, it turns me away as I don't know if I will pick something I will be satisfied with in the long run.
I just need to bite the proverbial bullet and buy something, anything I get is bound to be a refreshing eye opener from my current display.

Comment was not aimed directly at you bro.

For the record; G-Sync works fine just few people having some issues and dead pixels happen on any monitor.

Anyway as your not a twitch FPS gamer you would do well with a decent IPS screen. The switching times are fast enough for most people these days. Have you thought about one of those 21:9 monitors?

I read about 21:9 but no room for one.

IPS glow ruins it for me. The blacks are also terrible. TN is obviously garbage, especially on a big screen. Speedy MVA would be my recommendation, of the available LCD choices out there. I think Eizo has one out there that does 120 Hz. Skip cPVA and PVA.

I believe the Ezio you're talking about is a 24" and I'm looking for 27".

The X-Star is the same as the Qnix but the stand can be pulled off easily. The good eBay sellers offer to pay for return shipping if the monitor is defective and IPS LED Monitors offers a 14 Day return policy in the US (buyer pays for shipping).

I'm looking into the X-Star and I read that the base comes off easily but that the foot actually stays attached and juts out. Is that accurate?

I am in almost the same boat as the OP, wanting to get a new display but don't know what panel type I want to commit to, I have been rocking my ASUS VW266H for years now so anything I get will be an upgrade as far as quality goes, but not sure what platform I want to invest in (IPS / TN / 120Hz/60Hz / etc.)

I am all over the board on what style of games I play so it is hard to base my choice off of that, I don't currently have a plan to get more than one monitor, but if I do it will be a duplicate of whatever I decide on.

Every time I see threads like these it gets me jonesin for a new display, but then I start reading into all the various pros/cons/hyperbol of all the types of panels, it turns me away as I don't know if I will pick something I will be satisfied with in the long run.
I just need to bite the proverbial bullet and buy something, anything I get is bound to be a refreshing eye opener from my current display.

I think we are legion :)

Why not get a device that has all the benefits of all the LCD panel types combined, with zero of the issues LCDs have. Choose a CRT.

The X-Star looks like this (I own an X-Star, this is a picture of a monitor with the same stand) when the stand is removed.

Ok the foot stays in the base and doesn't jut out. Thanks for the pic.
And is it easy enough to attach the VESA mount?

Why not get a device that has all the benefits of all the LCD panel types combined, with zero of the issues LCDs have. Choose a CRT.

Because, space, weight... and I have enough options as it is.

While I appreciate that it's possibly the best monitor in its category and I'd like to try it out, it's also pretty much double every other good one out there, or even triple that if you consider the Koreans.
If it were closer to $600 I might consider it but not for $900.

While I appreciate that it's possibly the best monitor in its category and I'd like to try it out, it's also pretty much double every other good one out there, or even triple that if you consider the Koreans.
If it were closer to $600 I might consider it but not for $900.

You'd have to be nuts to pay $900 for a 1440p 60Hz PLS, unless you're doing something professionally that requires it. In which case there are better, absurdly expensive professional-class monitors available. Good call.

Get return policies and try both a VA and IPS.

I prefer IPS. Personally I despise the color/gamma shifts on VA and TN monitors and can't stand them. Seems like VA displays consistently have worse out of the box color and grayscale accuracy, though that may be the fault of individual manufacturers and is correctable.

Hoping to see some oled monitors go mainstream at some point...

Get return policies and try both a VA and IPS.

I prefer IPS. Personally I despise the color/gamma shifts on VA and TN monitors and can't stand them. Seems like VA displays consistently have worse out of the box color and grayscale accuracy, though that may be the fault of individual manufacturers and is correctable.

Hoping to see some oled monitors go mainstream at some point...

I guess Ideally I get a VA, an IPS and the Swift and return the 2 I don't like but that's a lot of upfront cash especially if you have to pay for shipping back.

For gaming only I'd go for a Swift if money and Nvidia only were not an issue. It's hands down the best gaming monitor out there, and the TN panel is sufficient enough that it doesn't bother me as much as the old horrible 24" 120/144 Hz TN panels did. Of course it doesn't match the colors and viewing angles of IPS, but they're just good enough, and the rest of the monitor is simply great.

VA you can't even get at 27" 1440p, so the only option is to go 32". You'd get good blacks in games which for certain games is very important, but for fast paced games the AHVA's are not that good. Also for game video editing I'm not sure if using a VA panels is a wise choice considering what the viewers would be using.

For IPS, personally I wouldn't recommend the korean models. I don't think the OC is worth much since it'll still have the blur of slow IPS panel regardless of the refresh rate. The only 27" 2560x1440 IPS panel I would consider these days is the EIZO EV2736. IPS has blacks on the same level as TN, but the glow is even worse. Only this Eizo model has it fixed currently afaik.

For gaming only I'd go for a Swift if money and Nvidia only were not an issue. It's hands down the best gaming monitor out there, and the TN panel is sufficient enough that it doesn't bother me as much as the old horrible 24" 120/144 Hz TN panels did. Of course it doesn't match the colors and viewing angles of IPS, but they're just good enough, and the rest of the monitor is simply great.

VA you can't even get at 27" 1440p, so the only option is to go 32". You'd get good blacks in games which for certain games is very important, but for fast paced games the AHVA's are not that good. Also for game video editing I'm not sure if using a VA panels is a wise choice considering what the viewers would be using.

For IPS, personally I wouldn't recommend the korean models. I don't think the OC is worth much since it'll still have the blur of slow IPS panel regardless of the refresh rate. The only 27" 2560x1440 IPS panel I would consider these days is the EIZO EV2736. IPS has blacks on the same level as TN, but the glow is even worse. Only this Eizo model has it fixed currently afaik.

Well I did read that the Swift has (much) better color than most other TN so I wonder.
As far as video editing you can't really compete against what everyone watching might have. Setting for monitors are all over the place. But it's true that color accuracy for video is less important than for picture editing since you're mostly capturing straight form the source and 'montaging'.

Back