Cannot connect two computers to verizon simultaneously

I've always had my two home computers connected to Verizon DSL through a small hub. Now all of a sudden, out of the blue, only one of those computers can connect at a time. Once one is connected the other can't dial up and vice versa. It just says "connecting through wan miniport (pppoe)..." and gets stuck there.

It's such a simple setup too, and nothing has changed. Ethernet cable -> DSL modem -> hub -> my two home computers. Any idea what the problem could be? Thanks in advance! :)

It sounds to me like you only have on IP address..if that's the case, you need a router.

And yet I've been using this same setup for years without issue? Why would something change now?
ISPs frequently make changes without caring how it affects their customers.

Use a PPPoE capable router to "dial-up" for you and NAT your internal hosts.

And yet I've been using this same setup for years without issue? Why would something change now?

I'm not familiar with Verizon DSL , but perhaps they offered multiple IP's earlier and no longer do.

you really should have your computers behind a nat firewall anyway. take this as an opportunity to properly protect your computers. :D
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Because it's in the Terms and Conditions that you did not read and blindly agree to. Unless you are specifically alotted more than one public IP address, this is not a technical issue.

Ok so would it be worth it to get a router now or just upgrade to something like FIOS or Optimum which I believe come with a router? In other words, if I don't plan with sticking with DSL for much longer, maybe just live with the issue and upgrade ASAP?

FIOS provides you with a router IIRC. Optimum wouldn't provide you a router, but I wouldn't want to be stuck with the providers router anyhow.

You can buy a (wireless) router now, and set it up for PPPOE access. If you end up switching to Optimum at some point, you can reuse the same router assuming you switch it back to connecting with DHCP instead of PPPOE.

Ok cool, thanks. Any recommendations for the router? Preferably something inexpensive? (only gonna be two computers hooked up to it)

Back