Cannot connect to my wireless network...

ir0n_ma1den

Weaksauce
I recently bought and installed an EW-7128g PCI wireless card, but I have not been able to connect to any network so far.

In hopes of getting it to work I set my network settings to no security and it still won't connect. The weird thing is that it detects my network and I am getting anywhere form 99-100% signal strength. I have no clue how to fix this problem.

I changed the channel and set my network to no security/encryption and now I am connected, but...

when I go into my browser, I cannot connect to any website. Looking at my network status I see that I am sending packets but not receiving, so how can I resolve this?

Has it not been a problem prior to this? Is this the first time ever connecting to the wireless internet? Do you have an old adapter that worked before?

What brand/model of router are you using? Do you have the latest firmware installed? Latest driver for the network adapter? Is your speed setting set to auto?

When it says you are connected, are you getting a ip address that is within the scope of the dhcp on your router (ie 192.168.1.100), or automatic private ip address (ie 169.254.X.X)?

Here is something else I found out. When I give my computer a static ip and dns it will connect but I cannot access any website. If I let it auto configure ip and dns then it will go to acquiring network address and then I will get the "limited or no connectivity".

I can send but not receive packets.

I have a D-link Dir-615 router. I'll check but I am pretty sure I have the latest firmware. I do have the latest drivers for my network card. My speed setting is probably auto because I do not know how to change that.

When it says I am connected, I am using a static ip (192.168.0.100), but when I use an auto assigned ip i get limited or no connectivity.

I have turned my firewall off.

I think I am getting a little bit closer to getting the internet to cooperate. In my router settings I added a DHCP reservation for my computer.

I still am not recieving packets...

If the IP starts with 169. then your computer isn't getting an IP from the network, meaning something's wrong or DHCP isn't turned on for your network. Would need to know the IP scheme for the rest of your network to tell you what to set manually.

I found that when I let DHCP assign my IP address it starts with 169, so does that narrow down the problem?

When you have it set to DHCP, you receive "Limited to no connectivity". This means that windows is requesting info from DHCP, but isn't receiving anything, and is assigning it's own w/e IP.

Check if the DHCP server is enabled on your router in that case.

I called D-Link and they helped me fix my problem, yahhh!!!!

All they told me to do was basically power-cycle my router and modem. So I now have wireless internet... feels good...

Back