Cannot change transfer mode on secondary IDE

haroldmeyer

[H]ard|Gawd
My secondary IDE channel for my DVD rom is "stuck" in the PIO mode of transfer. I've checked the BIOS and I'm set up in auto detection. Also I've switched the setting in the device mgr from PIO only to DMA if available, but it still will not switch even with reboot.
Do I have a rouge program installed that will not let me do this, or is it a hardware problem. I have been using this drive for about a year now without any problems until now.(Asus 616P) But just in the last month the damn thing got switched from DMA mode to PIO mode and there dosen't seem to be anything I can do to set it back in to the DMA mode, Mod please switch this to the optical drive section, I didn't see it

Things that I've had to do to get rid of the same problem:

1. uninstall primary or secondary ide channel in device manager and let it reinstall. Reboot then let Windows reinstall ide channel & devices attached to it.
2. stop using round cables and go back to flat 80-conductor flat ribbon cable.
3. change ALL ide drives (hard disks & optical drives) to cable select via their respective jumpers. Then have the drive/cable configuration select whether the drive is master or slave. (with a 2 device cable, the last connector will be selected as master, & the first connector will be the slave)
4 try different device combinations, i.e. if you have 2 hard drives on primary, and 2 opticals on secondary, try combining 1 hard drive & 1 optical on primary, and the other hard drive & optical on seondary channel.

Like the previous post said (in the link) that Windows will slow down Ultra ATA transfer speeds to PIO if it keeps getting errors.

Back