Cannot boot to CD....

Asazman

Supreme [H]ardness
I just got a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard and a 3200+, and am trying to install windows xp 64-bit. I downloaded it from microsoft's website and then burned it to a CD. When I try to boot from it, I get the error message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I get this message with or without the CD in the drive. I have one CD-rom attached, the only item on the primary or secondary channel. The hard drive I am trying to install to is a Maxtor 80GB SATA drive, which has just been formatted. Both the cd-rom and the drive are detected by the BIOS. Any ideas?

Asazman said:
I just got a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard and a 3200+, and am trying to install windows xp 64-bit. I downloaded it from microsoft's website and then burned it to a CD. When I try to boot from it, I get the error message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I get this message with or without the CD in the drive. I have one CD-rom attached, the only item on the primary or secondary channel. The hard drive I am trying to install to is a Maxtor 80GB SATA drive, which has just been formatted. Both the cd-rom and the drive are detected by the BIOS. Any ideas?

Seeing that u get the message with or without the cd that would suggest u have it set to boot off of the hd 1st i'm betting and the bootup info is screwed up. So go into bios and put cdrom as 1st bootup device and u should be all set!

As mentioned above, it seems to me like its trying to boot off the HD, considering that you said that it does this without a cd in the drive. The format might have not worked completely, killing files but not erasing the MBR. If the directions above dont work, try disabling the ability to boot from the HD altogether and turn of the "Boot other device" option in bios.

There is a known problem with XP64 and certain SATA mobo chips and drivers. I tried several times to get XP64 to run off my AOpen AK89 Max mobo w / SI3114 chip and Maxtor 120 GB SATA drive, it simply would not work. Windows would not detect the drive when trying to do a clean install. When loading the drivers to a floppy, XP64 simply would not load the drivers after accessing the floppy. . Even after I installed XP64 to an 80GB Maxtor IDE drive and then used Norton Ghost to clone it to the SATA drive it simply would not run. I finally gave up on SATA. XP64 would run fine from the IDE drive but I didn't feel like bothering with that.

You can check the MS site forums, I don't know if a solution was ever found. Like I said I quit screwing with it.

i can't boot to floppy either. When I try to boot to a floppy or a CD and disable boot other device, it says cannot boot to device, please replace and press enter....

Asazman said:
i can't boot to floppy either. When I try to boot to a floppy or a CD and disable boot other device, it says cannot boot to device, please replace and press enter....
After doing some research, I THINK the only way to do it would be to use the MSFN Unattended XP CD Tutorial and set up a custom XP64 CD with the proper drivers integrated into it. I don't even know if it will work, that's all I can recommend.

well i can speak for making an unatteneded boot disc for winxp 64 with the latest drivers added in and installing/working ok.

Back