Cannot boot RAID-0 after disabling raid to run memtest86

I disabled raid to run memtest and enabled it after reboot. Now the post screen says the volume is not bootable. I did back up files in case this should happen but is it possible repair the volume?

You broke the stripe when you disabled it. Unless someone else comes up with something I will say you are out of luck. Sometimes vendors have a repair utility. You might check the RAID controller vendors website.

ouch, don't know what to say but this is why I unplug my raid array by removing the controller card and the power from each of the drives whenever I am doing any partitioning, etc...don't want to deal with that.

Was this the built in mobo raid? Probably won't work but perhaps trying to pop in the OS cd and doing a repair??

Yah its the built in raid controller. I tried putting in the OS cd but no repair option. Its no big deal since I backed up important stuff but I think because of this experience I won't do raid next time around.

Yep, a repair install won't work, it needs a RAID driver, which you can't get to. And to reload it wipes out your install. I usually like RAID 0, this is its shortcoming. Never disable, upgrade the RAID BIOS, or change the driver on an existing array, or you may have just lost everything, no actual hardware failure necessary.

Go into the Raid Bios, make sure the array is built with the drives in question. Then make sure that array is marked as bootable.

You did not specify where you unenabled the array. Did you mess with the Raid bios?

You have just run into one of the disadvantages of Raid 0. Added complexity. Do you feel the performance gains are worth the hassles?

Don

I don't understand why you would need to disable RAID to run memtest in the first place. I always run memtest from the boot-able live CD.

Without disabling raid in the motherboard bios the memtest cd wouldn't boot.

I thought Raid-0 would be good for gaming until I realized that its access time that really matters for games. Im still keeping with the parrallel computing method by putting the page file and games on a different hard drive than the OS. But right now, using HD Tune, Im getting 20ms access times with a single empty hard drive when I used to get 13.5ms with raid-0. Can anyone make sense of that?

Without disabling raid in the motherboard bios the memtest cd wouldn't boot.

I thought Raid-0 would be good for gaming until I realized that its access time that really matters for games. Im still keeping with the parrallel computing method by putting the page file and games on a different hard drive than the OS. But right now, using HD Tune, Im getting 20ms access times with a single empty hard drive when I used to get 13.5ms with raid-0. Can anyone make sense of that?

Strange the Cd wouldn't boot, I have never had this issue. You are probably better off with the separate drives, especially if your machine is forcing you to disable RAID to boot from CDs. As for the access times, are they consistent? I can run benchmark utilities on RAID 0 3 times and get 3 different numbers. It can largely depend on what physical part of the drive the test is writing to/reading from.

It was only the memtest cd that wouldn't boot. The access time for both hard hard drives is consistently 20ms. I also run the test right after startup for accuracy.

Back