Cannot access Watchguard Firebox x700 even in Safe Mode

Barometer

Limp Gawd
Hi,
I'm in a dilemma. Over the weekend, I attempted to upload a configuration change into my x700 and from that moment on, my firebox has refused any and all connections. It's as if the thing is bricked. It's running 10.2.12

I tried the Safe Mode recovery approach by powering off, then while holding the Up Arrow, turning the power back on and it did boot into safe mode. But after trying for hours and every known default password, I cannot connect to the thing.

I am using a Crossover cable connected to Port 1 (Trusted) and a PC that has the correct version (same version as the firebox) WSM installed. But all I get is an error message saying to recheck the connection and or the IP address, which I checked using IPConfig /all and it is definitely there at 10.0.1.1. I can successfully ping the firefox but I cannot connect.

I've run out of ideas to try. What is safe mode for if it doesn't allow you to regain access to the Firebox?

BTW.....I have 2 x700's and they both are running 10.2.12 and I cannot connect to either of them.

I suspected maybe the CrossOver cable so using a VOM, I carefully checked not only pin for pin that it was wired correctly against a pinout chart for CrossOver cables, but also that each of the 8 wires had acceptable resistance readings so I can safely rule out the CrossOver cable as the problem.

I have ordered a female RS232 to USB cable to try and connect via the serial port on front but it won't arrive until Thursday.
Until then, my server is down. Even then, I have no way of knowing if the Serial connection approach will work.

Am I doing something wrong? How can 2 separate x700 Fireboxes BOTH refuse to connect in Safe Mode?

Back