Candidate Q6600 system for moderate overclocking

nullptr

n00b
After some research, I have a candidate parts list for a Q6600-based gaming-capable workstation (emphasis workstation). I have built a few computers before, but this will be the first system I attempt to overclock. I realize there is no hard drive, I am planning to reuse the disk from my last (dead) system.

The video card might seem a bit "over-spec" for a workstation spec, but I'll be pairing with a 30" display, so I'm not sure I can cut many corners on video memory. I'm more of a console gamer, but I like some PC games like Civilization IV and Rollercoaster Tycoon. And I wouldn't mind being able to run last-generation-to-current-generation games at my display resolution (Crysis looks pretty sweet).

Would using the larger memory DIMMs jeopardize my overclocking desires (looking to target around 2.8ghz)? Is there a better choice in that size? It's important to me to leave myself some memory expansion overhead, as long as it doesn't completely disqualify my target OC. Lots and lots of server apps and virtual machines running on my systems ... so that's by far the most likely future upgrade on this machine.

Anyways, I'd appreciate your taking a look and letting me know if you see any red flags. Thanks in advance -- oh, and don't hesitate to be mean. I don't have any personal connections to anything in this list.

1. LIAN LI PC-V1200Bplus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
  2. GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
  3. EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
  4. SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT ATX12V/EPS12V, 80Plus, Active PFC, RoHS, 2PCI-E(6Pin), 650W Power Supply - Retail
  5. Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
  6. Patriot eXtreme Performance 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC24G6400ELK - Retail
  7. Sony NEC Optiarc 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model AD-7170S-0B - OEM
  8. Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler - Retail
  9. Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Case Fan - Retail
  10. LIAN LI C-01B CD/DVD ROM Aluminum Bezel - Retail

I think you could definitely get away with an 8800GTS, but I'm not 100% sure. Someone more knowledgeable on the subject will probably chime in.

At 30" you're driving 4MP, twice that of a 20". With my 20", the GTS is already slowing a bit; it chokes on the DX10 stuff that's out (for what that's worth).

Honestly, you need to look at your gaming, what you want to game, see how that stuff runs at 1600x1200 (20") and then halve that- and decide whether or not you can live with it. Realistically, I'd shove an 8600GT(S) in till some faster stuff comes out, the games you listed look fairly mundane- buy something for Crysis when it gets here, as both graphics companies (ATi and nVidia) are still tuning up DX10 stuff, and I think it'll probably be a totally different picture-- I built my system with the GTS and 680i with the intention of using SLi for DX10 if necessary.

Also note, at that high of a resolution, you're actually running out of VRAM- even on a GTX- so keep main memory bandwidth in consideration, extra bandwidth the CPU isn't using will get used for the GPU :)

For the rest of the system (was replying to first reply above):

The Seasonic is electrically identical, I believe, to the Corsair in my sig- except the Seasonic is louder, and the Corsair is practically silent.

If there's a reason you need that Lian Li, drive bay configuration or what not, fine, but honestly, for a workstation- re: quiet- there isn't much better than Antec's P180, not the very best cooling, but I have no problem with my middle of the road Zalman 9700 running at 3.0.

I like that DVD Burner, not a problem so far, runs great- loud when it spins up, but burns quietly, and how often do you actually read discs?

As for the RAM, I hope you've researched that, though I think Intel's memory controller is light years ahead of nVidia's when it comes to compatability. Just make sure (beyond unreliable Newegg reviews) that it's gonna work. Try Gigabyte's website for a qualified vendor list.

On overclocking: Intel's boards are less flexible, when it comes to memory at least. 680i's have an absolutely huge range of overclocking options and flexibility (my RAM is running at it's exact stock speed while the FSB is at 1500Mhz). If you need P35 for anything in particular, it's great, just understand that it may be more painful hitting a specific speed- you may have to undershoot your CPU's stable max in order to keep ram in working order- use Memtest86, from boot, to test and make sure the ram is working, and trust nothing else.

Thanks for all of your input. I did a bit more research, and I think you convinced me that a lower grade video card is a good decision for now. At my resolution, even SLI GTXs setups get sluggish on current gen games (FSX, etc). Until then, I think an 8600GTS will cover my gaming needs (ehh, Civ 4) just fine. When the G90 Nvidia stuff comes out, I'll make an upgrade decision and move the 8600GTS to my HTPC which is lumbering along with an old 9800 Pro.

I might pick up a 680i SLI board, so if the G90 stuff pushes the G80 cards down in price, I'll be able to go Ultra SLI for the price of a single GTX card today. It's good to have options, I guess.

Yeah, the Corsair is a Seasonic, but has modular cables and right now it also costs less. So, I'm going to pick up that PSU and pocket a few bucks.

I'm going with the Lian Li case because I like the looks, and it's large / quiet enough that I'll be able to fit things without worry. I did a build on its baby brother, the V1000, and really liked it (great temps too). It's also a high enough quality case that I can re-use it a few years down the road when it's upgrade time again, I wouldn't dare OC a chip inside the crap sub-$40 cases I've purchased in the past.

The RAM options are pretty limited on the 2GB DIMMs, as they are less common, and often nearly ignored on the manufacturer spec lists. So, yeah I'm taking a shot at it. I used the same RAM on a build for a friend using a Gigabyte P965 board and it was totally trouble free. With the 680i SLI, I'll do some extra research. At least eVGA answers emails :)

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Back