Cancel X800XT order for 6800GT?

truffle00

2[H]4U
NOTE TO NVIDIOTS: AT THE VERY LEAST, PLEASE READ THROUGH MY WHOLE POST BEFORE POSTING "OMG t3h 6800GT 4 LIFEZ LOLZ!!!!!!!!!111" SO THAT MAYBE, JUST MAYBE I CAN GET A GOOD ANSWER

I currently have in order in at Gateway for an X800XT, with an estimated ship date of the end of July. The word on forums in general though is that with CDW having many orders of its own on the X800XT, it might not be as willing to supply Gateway with cards, so there's a good chance my ship date will slip back even farther. Besides the fact that no other place has them right now, the reason I am sticking with Gateway is that the card ends up being $435 shipped, which isn't bad at all.

In light of recent events (the Far Cry patch, Best Buy's sale, and the much more near-term availability of the card), the 6800GT is becoming increasingly appealing at $360. What really pushed to consider Nvidia, though, was in looking at upgrades I could do to my system, I realized that my next upgrade will probably be a complete system overhaul. This will likely include a movement to PCI Express, and even if it's only $75, I'd feel as though I am not wasting money as much if I go with the 6800 GT. I would need to act quickly on this since the general consensus is that this deal will be dead after today.

Here are some of my thoughts on the pros and cons, some of which apply only to me:

-I like the ATI card since it seems like the more refined piece of engineering. It is smaller, and I believe draws less power and puts out less heat, which is a boon in my Shuttle case.

-I feel safer using the ATI because I won't be worried about getting screwed on the drivers. Being a pessimist, I see Nvidia's large driver performance gains as a failure on their part to put out a quality driver in the first place instead of an excellent driver team constantly coaxing more out of the cards, and that doesn't sit too well with me. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, and I'd rather have x performance today than x-2 today with the promise of x+1 "in the next release". Companies lie. A LOT.

-I have no use for Linux or Linux drivers, so do not mention them as they are completely irrelevant.

-I can get beyond this in some ways, though, since I play CS, DoD, and Tribes a good deal. Being OpenGL, I expect the 6800GT to outperform the X800XT which would be great. However, the 4.7 drivers are supposed to give a healthy OpenGL boost to the Radeon series. See above for my problems with this...overall, I don't know what to make of this.

-I try to play all my games at 1600x1200; I have an LCD and that being my native resolution, I want to take advantage of it. There's no sense in getting a high-end card if you can't see the eye-candy you're getting. On the other hand, I suppose that running a lower resolution might give me "free" AA, but that's besides the point. :)

-I also like to play with AA and AF on. It seems as though 1600x1200 w/ AA and AF is where the ATI cards shine...can the 6800GT keep up? The HardOCP review favors the X800XT at 1600, with the 6800 going to 1280x1024 several times.

-Whenever I see people asking which card will play Doom 3 or HL2 better, I get this urge to find them and punch them in the face because, of course, nobody really knows. This really is the reason for this upgrade, though, so as much as it hurts I need to ask anyway. Nvidia has SM 3.0. ATI has 3dc. When all is said and done, do you think game developers will favor one over the other, or will they both have about an equal presence in games so that one brand does not necessarily have a leg up on the other?

-As an extension of the last question, is it worth it to pay the extra $75 for the possibility of 3dc compression and increased performance? It seems as though the 6800 series heavily benefit from SM 3.0, and unfortunately, I don't know if anyone knows (or can talk about) whether 3dc gives a comparable boost to ATI.

Thanks to those of you who actually read up to this point, and a double-thanks to those who actually consider my needs in making their reply. I have not yet slept and must do so now, so please do not take offense in my absence during the upcoming peak hours. I will be on again late this evening so that I can go ahead and buy the 6800GT if that is where this thread has headed.

although the 6800GT was made to compete with X800Pro (and to be fair the X800 does a good job with 4 less pixel pipelines), i would go 6800GT because of a couple of factors:

1. price
2. sm3.0 support (something we will prolly see in more games in the next couple of months)
3. underclocked 6800Ultra

-I like the ATI card since it seems like the more refined piece of engineering. It is smaller, and I believe draws less power and puts out less heat, which is a boon in my Shuttle case.

This is a good point. You would probably want to go with the 6800GT over the 6800U if you have a smaller case when considering the 6800 series. In terms of heat and power, I'm not sure how the 6800GT and x800xt compare, but if they are both at stock, they are probably about the same. Obviously the 6800U has more heat/power than the x800xt.

-I feel safer using the ATI because I won't be worried about getting screwed on the drivers. Being a pessimist, I see Nvidia's large driver performance gains as a failure on their part to put out a quality driver in the first place instead of an excellent driver team constantly coaxing more out of the cards, and that doesn't sit too well with me. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, and I'd rather have x performance today than x-2 today with the promise of x+1 "in the next release". Companies lie. A LOT.

You could also look at it that the x800 is more of an extension of ATI's R3xx series rather than a completely new architecture, so the drivers are already pretty refined. On the other hand, the 6800 is a completely new architecture, which means it will take some time to get maximum performance out of it.

-I can get beyond this in some ways, though, since I play CS, DoD, and Tribes a good deal. Being OpenGL, I expect the 6800GT to outperform the X800XT which would be great. However, the 4.7 drivers are supposed to give a healthy OpenGL boost to the Radeon series. See above for my problems with this...overall, I don't know what to make of this.

Won't really know til we see ATI's new OpenGL implementation.

-I also like to play with AA and AF on. It seems as though 1600x1200 w/ AA and AF is where the ATI cards shine...can the 6800GT keep up? The HardOCP review favors the X800XT at 1600, with the 6800 going to 1280x1024 several times.

With the latest drivers and SM3.0 patches, etc, it appears the 6800 is now keeping up with the x800.

-Whenever I see people asking which card will play Doom 3 or HL2 better, I get this urge to find them and punch them in the face because, of course, nobody really knows. This really is the reason for this upgrade, though, so as much as it hurts I need to ask anyway. Nvidia has SM 3.0. ATI has 3dc. When all is said and done, do you think game developers will favor one over the other, or will they both have about an equal presence in games so that one brand does not necessarily have a leg up on the other?

I think Doom3/Farcry will end up faster and/or looking better on the 6800 when all is said and done and Half Life 2 will end up working better on the X800.

-As an extension of the last question, is it worth it to pay the extra $75 for the possibility of 3dc compression and increased performance? It seems as though the 6800 series heavily benefit from SM 3.0, and unfortunately, I don't know if anyone knows (or can talk about) whether 3dc gives a comparable boost to ATI.

Remember the 6800 supports DXT5 which can offer a similar boost to 3dc, but at a slightly lower texture quality - that is the tradeoff. But with the 6800 you also gain Shader Model 3.0 and FP blending for HDR which FarCry is already using. You might get a little more speed with the XT but I think you will get more eyecandy with the 6800 in the end.

Thanks to those of you who actually read up to this point, and a double-thanks to those who actually consider my needs in making their reply. I have not yet slept and must do so now, so please do not take offense in my absence during the upcoming peak hours. I will be on again late this evening so that I can go ahead and buy the 6800GT if that is where this thread has headed.

Both would be a fine purchase, I see the 6800GT as the more future proof one though, as it supports the most features and therefore will give you the least chance of missing out on eyecandy (as appears to be the case with x800 owners and FarCry v1.3 hdr)

I'm in the same situation as you. But be aware there is a 10% off coupon for the gateway order making it 398.95 shipped w/no tax. Also, in my case, the 6800gt is 386.15 including tax and next day air(6.00). Just wanted to make sure you aware about the coupon. I'll try to find the code. You can call gateway and adjust your order.

Here's the code: SAVE10TVAC

Thanks tranCendenZ, that was what I was looking for. I think if I get a couple more people like you I might be set :)

rhoel:
I misspoke, the price is $432...I did use the 10% off code but with tax and overnight shipping I'm back up at the original price :( :) Thanks though.

One more thing I did want to add is that I am a very impulsive person with very little patience, which is definitely a factor in purchasing the 6800GT (since it will ship sooner). I do realize this, though, which is why I don't want to get caught up in a flavor-of-the-day situation and end up regretting it a few months down the line. I guess I'm looking for reassurance that it's OK to give in to my ADD this time :D

truffle00 said:
Thanks tranCendenZ, that was what I was looking for. I think if I get a couple more people like you I might be set :)

rhoel:
I misspoke, the price is $432...I did use the 10% off code but with tax and overnight shipping I'm back up at the original price :( :) Thanks though.

One more thing I did want to add is that I am a very impulsive person with very little patience, which is definitely a factor in purchasing the 6800GT (since it will ship sooner). I do realize this, though, which is why I don't want to get caught up in a flavor-of-the-day situation and end up regretting it a few months down the line. I guess I'm looking for reassurance that it's OK to give in to my ADD this time :D

BTW, make sure the 6800GT can fit in your smaller case. It's 8.5" long.

tranCendenZ said:

Obviously you are intelligent, I just wish you were more in the middle than to one side.:)

merlin704 said:
Obviously you are intelligent, I just wish you were more in the middle than to one side.:)

Well, the way I work is I evaluate the product of both sides for each generation, then I go with the one I think is better, and provide evidence why I believe so. I don't like being wishy-washy thats all :)

Well, if you're impulsive like me, you'll get whatever you can get your hands on first. That's why I haven't preordered anything, so I can immediately buy whatever 6800 Ultra looks good to me, although I do have a specific vendor in mind.

The 6800GT is NOT a bad purchase. If given the choice between that and the X800XT, I'd get the XT, because I don't have to do anything to get more out of the XT. I have to overclock the 6800GT, which isn't always guaranteed to work.

Are you willing to trade what you want most for what you want now?

tranCendenZ said:

I was checking it out on the Sudhian forums and someone over there bought a 6800GT and put it in his SB75G2. It will fit ok, but you do lose a bit of room to work (if you need to) and it blocks the side panel a bit more. Nothing to get too worried about, but still makes me let out a disappointed sigh.

11 a.m. and still I haven't gone to sleep...what's wrong with me?!

BTW, if you plan to overclock the 6800GT, here are some initial overclock findings on NVNEWS. For comparisons sake, the 6800GT is 350/1000 stock and the 6800U is 400/1100 stock

stable 6800GT overclocks:
..POV 6800GT @ 365 /1150
..BFG 6800U @ 460 /1250
..BFG 6800U @ 450 /1250
..BFG 6800GT @ 425 /1150
..BFG 6800GT @ 420 /1100
..BFG 6800GT @ 416 /1160
..BFG 6800GT @ 415 /1105
..BFG 6800GT @ 404 /1100
EVGA 6800GT @ 440 /1200
EVGA 6800GT @ 400 /1100
Nvidia 6800NU @ 400 /850
Nvidia 6800GT @ 440/1150
Zafary 6800 GT @ 460/1300

Note that core overclocks over 435mhz will suffer from power issues and will actually be slower than if clocked 435 or lower. You need a 6800U if you want to wade into 440+ territory.

truffle00 said:

Slight insomnia due to excessive, obsessive thought about computer hardware. Happens to all of us.

I can answer your SFF questions. Several people are running these in a shuttle SB75 (250w) and the FIC Ice-cube/AMS EG65 (220W), all clocked to at least ultra speeds with no problem.

http://homepage.mac.com/bootlegskwirl/side.JPG

if you want to see it fit in a SFF case. Mine will be here tomorrow, and the I have same case (FICA Ice-cube) as pictured above. Plenty of room as you can see in the picture.

I sold my 9800pro, and enjoyed it for a year, although it wasn't a very good OC card even with extra cooling. I believe you will be waiting quite a while from Gateway for your savings.

I decided to give the 6800GT a go this time around. It's not a life threatening decision, either card is going to play the upcoming game well.

6800 is good enough... xt is an awesome card indeed,, but then again who plays on insane high res? well if u do keep it,, if u play on anything under 1152 res i would go for 6800.. its cheaper and digital vibrance is NICE :D

zombie10k said:
I can answer your SFF questions. Several people are running these in a shuttle SB75 (250w) and the FIC Ice-cube/AMS EG65 (220W), all clocked to at least ultra speeds with no problem.

http://homepage.mac.com/bootlegskwirl/side.JPG

if you want to see it fit in a SFF case.

I sold my 9800pro, and enjoyed it for a year, although it wasn't a very good OC card even with extra cooling. I believe you will be waiting quite a while from Gateway for your savings.

I decided to give the 6800GT a go this time around. It's not a life threatening decision, either card is going to play the upcoming game well.

That looks awesome with the blue light and the mermaid heh, looks like she is swimming in the case :)

haha.. it does look like she's in an aquarium.

The Ice-Cubes are underated SFF boxes, since everyone is a Shuttle Drone these days. I am running a 3.0 HT, 1 gig, 250 gig HD, DVD burner, Crystal Fontz LCD display for Fraps, CPU temps, etc and did a bunch of mods like 120mm fan for extra cooling, etc.

and a big empty AGP slot waiting for Mr. UPS to arrive tomorrow w/ the 6800GT.

The 20.1" Dell LCD is waiting for the card.

http://www.capri50.com/cube/20lcd.JPG

lights out:

http://www.capri50.com/cube/lcd2.JPG

Ludic:

I hope that was a rhetorical question because that is actually what I am trying to ask all of you :)

Even though it would be a horrible waste of money, I guess I can always tell myself that I can just get the 6800GT now and keep the X800XT preordered...but that is a huge waste of money so I don't know if it will fly. I'd probably end up keeping the GT and verbally abusing it every day...hell, if I could find a way I'd sexually abuse it too. I'M GONNA RUB YO CAPACITOR, BIATCH!

tranCendenZ:

Thanks for that list. I figure I can get 6800 Ultra speeds even in the Shuttle, but keep in mind that I'd be OC'ing the X800XT as well. And who knows where that would end up...

xxsunsooxx:

I play at high res! Things look best at native resolution, so I need to game at 1600x1200. That's right, "need" not "want" ;)

zombie10k:

Hey, I'm no drone! If FIC could have given me a Canterwood SFF last summer for less money than my Shuttle, I would probably have gone for it. And I must add that you have exquisite taste in monitors ;) :p

truffle00 said:

I woke up at 8am inspired to work on my case. Does that make me wierd? :confused:

merlin704 said:
I woke up at 8am inspired to work on my case. Does that make me wierd? :confused:

No, it makes you normal and good and in control of yourself. See, I wanted to be asleep around 3 or so, which is what makes 11:30 and me still being awake a problem...and this is something that happens just about every night...

tornadotsunamilife said:
although the 6800GT was made to compete with X800Pro (and to be fair the X800 does a good job with 4 less pixel pipelines), i would go 6800GT because of a couple of factors:

1. price
2. sm3.0 support (something we will prolly see in more games in the next couple of months)
3. underclocked 6800Ultra

three very good points. ;)

truffle00 said:
Ludic:

Izombie10k:

Hey, I'm no drone! If FIC could have given me a Canterwood SFF last summer for less money than my Shuttle, I would probably have gone for it. And I must add that you have exquisite taste in monitors ;) :p

sorry that was a little harsh. We take a pretty good beating from the shuttle guys. I like the shuttles, and my next choice would be the SB75 w/ 250w PS. The one major bonus is the handle on the top, super easy for carrying around.

btw, the 16ms 20.1 Dell LCD is unlike anything i have ever seen. Great refresh rates, can't wait for native 1600x1200 playing tomorrow.

rhoel said:
I'm in the same situation as you. But be aware there is a 10% off coupon for the gateway order making it 398.95 shipped w/no tax. Also, in my case, the 6800gt is 386.15 including tax and next day air(6.00). Just wanted to make sure you aware about the coupon. I'll try to find the code. You can call gateway and adjust your order.

Here's the code: SAVE10TVAC

my recent BFG 6800 GT order came to $391 (per card) which includes sales tax and over-nite shipping.

a BB rep assured me that they will have the cards in their hands tomorrow and that I will have my cards on Wednesday.

we'll see.

Hi guys, I'm back. So what is the consensus here? Will I be fine if I go with the 6800GT?

truffle00 said:
Hi guys, I'm back. So what is the consensus here? Will I be fine if I go with the 6800GT?

Sure the 6800GT is going to be a nice card. No matter what you get, whether it be ATi or nVidia, you will be happy. Your money, not ours. Buy what you please.:)

just go with a 16 pipe card. if you're going to watercool then get either the xt pe or ultra, because the 6800 gt maxes out its oc around 430-440 core and 1.12-1.15 mem due to voltage limitations. if you're going to air cool and/or want a card now, then get the 6800 gt.

Because of all the new changes coming up, this is most likely going to be the last AGP card most of us buy. Personally, I'm getting the GT and saving the extra money for that socket 939...

i had the xt pe on order from gateway for $440 but i canceled it and bought a gt instead. i couldnt be happier :D

i had to pay 7.75% tax so it was the was about the same price that i was goign to get the xt pe for. $440 with overnight shipping

Well, I did it and went for the 6800GT, but I'm holding on to the X800XT order as well. I figure it doesn't cost me anything, and I've locked in a pretty good price, so I might as well see how things turn out.

Back