Canada Passes Law Making Auto-Install Software Illegal

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Canada Legislators passed new regulations governing websites last summer that automatically download and install software without permission of the owner or representatives. The law went into full effect this week. Anyone found to be in non-compliance with the new law will face hefty monetary penalties for each event.

Under the new regulations that form part of Canada's anti-spam legislation, it is now illegal for a website to automatically install software on a visitor's computer or for an app on your phone to be updated without first obtaining express consent from the owner or another authorised party.

didn't realize there was that much self-install software that originated from Canadian servers

Canada Legislators passed new regulations governing websites last summer that automatically download and install software without permission of the owner or representatives. The law went into full effect this week. Anyone found to be in non-compliance with the new law will face hefty monetary penalties for each event.

I like the idea. It's pretty cool. I'm just not sure how enforcement of the law would be implemented. I mean sure, they could actively look for people running services that break the law and prosecute them. But they won't even get 1% of offenders that way.

When 99% is breaking the law, it's the same thing as no law anyway.

Hmm, I would think the major purpose of the law could be for extradition of individuals, not enforceable by itself of to work in conjunction with other laws.

didn't realize there was that much self-install software that originated from Canadian servers

If you read the fact sheet this law covers more than "We installed badware without your consent." It can include cookies under the right circumstances, for example.

The problem is that people get suckered into installing stuff because it's been disguised or dressed up to the point of near "invisibility" during the install process. Yeah, if you're a discerning PC user you'll likely see the added bundle of crapware and avoid the pain, but if you're like my dear parents or those idiots who give out their password on national television on the Jimmy Kimmel show - this law won't help you.

Ask Toolbar anyone?:D

This is a law with little to 0 impact on the software that matters since most if it resides on servers NOT IN canada. so.

If you read the fact sheet this law covers more than "We installed badware without your consent." It can include cookies under the right circumstances, for example.
But still it would only apply to websites based on Canadian servers (or Canadian businesses)

every time my dad has problems with his laptop it is almost always them toolbars

Ask Toolbar anyone?:D

every time my dad has problems with his laptop it is almost always them toolbars

Fucking toolbars are the Devil itself.

Even I, when I'm in a hurry and just bang "enter, enter, enter..." get suckered into the madness from time to time.

But my parents computers... its better not to use them, or you get a headache to see all the crap they have installed unwillingly.

"The computer is slow as heck, son, again, and I swear I didn't install anything, for realsies! :rolleyes: :D

Even I, when I'm in a hurry and just bang "enter, enter, enter..." get suckered into the madness from time to time.

But my parents computers... its better not to use them, or you get a headache to see all the crap they have installed unwillingly.

"The computer is slow as heck, son, again, and I swear I didn't install anything, for realsies! :rolleyes: :D

I cringe whenever my parents find something on "The Google" or in their AOL e-mail. It means within 24 hours, I'll be over there pulling my hair out uninstalling and deleting garbage. It never ends...:(

I Live in Upstate, NY and A LOT of Canadians come down and Shop at our malls and stores to save money on Taxes.

I had to look at my dad's laptop one day and he had like 5 toolbars up. It was a big wtf moment. lol

I cringe whenever my parents find something on "The Google" or in their AOL e-mail. It means within 24 hours, I'll be over there pulling my hair out uninstalling and deleting garbage. It never ends...:(

I bought my mom a mac.

Truly and honestly havn't had a single issue with it, other than wifi printing, for 5 years. ;)

I still wonder why US legislators haven't done the same.

First defense, because there is a box that people can uncheck.. blah blah blah

Second defense, you can not restrict what we do, this is the free market!

Third defense, you want to still cash those checks we give to your re-election campaign?

I bought my mom a mac.

Truly and honestly havn't had a single issue with it, other than wifi printing, for 5 years. ;)

Same here, I got sick of being 24/7 support for the "I swear i didn't install anything". I got them an Ipad as all they do is light web surfing, email and skype. I haven't had a support call in years.

I generally dislike ipads, but they certainly have their uses.

My yesterday. I yanked my PC's power cable out of the wall at 70% download with like 2 seconds left on Bing bar. It was worth it.

But still it would only apply to websites based on Canadian servers (or Canadian businesses)

Actually this would effect any company doing this in Canada. Its hard to enforce the fines when outside Canada , however blocking those instances could become a new norm.

I bought my mom a mac.

Yeah, a pricier way to go but certainly worth it, especially if you're the go to fix it guy. Having a dedicated app store helps a lot but for some people I would force them into Linux. Free software and pretty hard to accidentally install anything. From a setup standpoint or to be a picky user, I hate Linux but for computer dumb people that most browse the web or do basic stuff I think it's great. So long as they don't need iTunes, Netflix or anything like that.

Yeah, a pricier way to go but certainly worth it, especially if you're the go to fix it guy. Having a dedicated app store helps a lot but for some people I would force them into Linux. Free software and pretty hard to accidentally install anything. From a setup standpoint or to be a picky user, I hate Linux but for computer dumb people that most browse the web or do basic stuff I think it's great. So long as they don't need iTunes, Netflix or anything like that.

Eh... I do like netflix, i'm not knocking it, but.... There are alternatives....

Back