Can you use an image to install Windows/Remote install question

j-dawg

Limp Gawd
Don't worry, no piracy is involved here.

I recently bought a Dell laptop on eBay. It has no CD-ROM drive; as an ultraportable, it eschewed optical and floppy drives for light weight, instead offering an external 24x CD-ROM. The computer didn't come with it.

I recently installed MS Office to the laptop using an image saved on my desktop, which has a CD-ROM drive. I mounted the image over my network and installed the programs. All went smoothly.

But now we come across problems: the seller neglected to use the Dell CD to install windows, and now the computer tells me that I need to reactivate Windows within three days (to become two in a few hours) because of "extensive hardware changes." The Dell CD it came with does not require a COA to install, so I figured I would install that. Unfortunately, I have no CD-ROM drive for the Dell, and I can't get one within three days. So would it work to rip the image of the Dell CD onto the desktop, and then mount it to the laptop for the install? I know you can't boot off an image, but does the Dell CD copy all the files before it installs the OS?

Also, I have a copy of Windows 2000. How do remote installs work? Can I remote-install Win2k to the laptop using my XP Pro desktop? (If I did, it would only be to hold me over until I get a CD-ROM, which should be within two or three weeks, so activating it isn't a problem).

The last time I did that was with Windows 98 SE. I had an IBM SureOne (a point-of-sale computer) that only had a floppy drive that needed 98. Rather than rip the goofy thing apart I built a bootable floppy that had WFWG on it and accessed the Windows CD I had on a share on another computer. I don't see why there would be a problem doing something similar to that with XP.

If you have a Server2003 box you could do RIS. That's pretty damned cool once you get it setup. But I'm guessing that's not an option here. :p

But you seriously don't have ANYONE you could borrow an optical drive from for a couple hours? Hell, go dumpster diving by the colleges if there are any near. There's tons of good shit laying around this time of year. :D

No optical drives for a Dell Latitude C400. The computer has no slot to put in a CD-ROM drive, only external, and the only drive I have won't work because I don't have the cable. Apparently the cables are expensive--$35 on eBay, plus shipping, talk about gouging. So basically I can't use the drive, because I don't know anyone with a cable.

I wish I'd waited until I'd read this thread to try cracking the activation, because the program I used was either malicious or didn't work--now the laptop won't boot into Windows at all. So I guess I'll wait until I get a cable.

if it wants you to reactivate windows, why would you need an install disk/image?? All you should need is the product key. And if you've got a key that isn't working, you can call and have it reactivated over the phone. Takes 5-10 minutes.

Back