Can you technically install OS X on different machines?

a ronin

Gawd
I'm getting a Mac Pro when Leopard comes out and would like to also install it on my Tiger install base. Is it technically/mechanically possible (not legally)?

I'm getting a Mac Pro when Leopard comes out and would like to also install it on my Tiger install base. Is it technically/mechanically possible (not legally)?

Yes-ish. The argument can be made that each system-bundled CD includes drivers specific to the product it accompanies, but how much truth to that is really negligible. Software update would fill any holes that specialized drivers left.

You should be "technically" fine ;)

The answer is NO. EVen with the lacking drivers that you can get from software update. The Install-CDs that come with the machine are machine specific They only work with the product line and nothing else. It also depends if your other machine is PPC or Intel based.

The answer is NO. EVen with the lacking drivers that you can get from software update. The Install-CDs that come with the machine are machine specific They only work with the product line and nothing else. It also depends if your other machine is PPC or Intel based.

I was assuming they would both be Intel.

Re: Black Morty Rackham

You must be doing something wrong. I had no problems using discs from another machine in one from a different family.

Older CD/DVD often don't work in newer machines but newer disks usualy work on older machines.

Yes, they are all Intel machines. I'll give a go since I have nothing to lose.

Will we get a definitive release date on Wednesday? Here's to hoping.

ya, tiger, woo hoo, like they couldnt of put those into a service pack or something, lets charge $150 for some features..lol Apple is becoming MS on so many levels is sad :(

ya, tiger, woo hoo, like they couldnt of put those into a service pack or something, lets charge $150 for some features..lol Apple is becoming MS on so many levels is sad :(

Because Steve Jobs has an ego the size of Jupiter's orbit. Saint Steve knows best after all. :p

And at least MS doesn't make their own computers, like Apple does and turn around and charge insane prices for it. No. Instead they charge insane prices for their software. :D

Back