Can you still roll back to windows 7 from 8.1?

mnewxcv

[H]F Junkie
I know this is an old question, but if I buy a NEW computer with windows 8.1, can I downgrade to 7? I thought I remember you being able to do that (when windows 8 was new), but is that still possible?

I doubt it. I would think that rolling back would only be remotely possible if it was updated to 8 from 7 in the first place.

You will have to format the drive and do a clean install of Windows 7 if that is what your looking for.

Yes you have downgrade right with windows 8.1/10
With Pro you do. I don't believe Home users have downgrade rights.

OP. All you need to do is find someone that has a Windows 7 disc from that manufacturer and it will let you install 7 and it will be activated. Your other option is to install OEM 7 on that matches your 8.1 version (either Home or Pro) then use a program like "Win Loader" that will install the OEM certificate and product key so the OS will be activated. Those two files normally come on the 'Reinstall DVD' that comes with laptops but since you may not have it you can just use the program. It's not hacked OS or anything, just a way around not having the official reinstall disc.

Back