Can you SLI different 8800gts?

jbauer2485

Limp Gawd
I currently have a 8800GT SSC edition. Can I later add a regular 8800gt (possibly different brand) without any problems?

Yes. Worst case you may have to clock down the SSC card to standard clocks -- some people report heavy screen tearing and other issues when running SLI with two cards running considerably different clocks. Some however (Dan D being among them) claim to have never seen any such problems, so I personally would just put the second card in and see how it does before worrying about clocks.

Brand is not important, but it /must/ be an 8800GT (not one of the many GTS variants, or a GTX / Ultra) and must have the same amount of video memory -- hopefully 512MB. If it's one of the 256MB GTs, I'd recommend you sell it and pick up a 512MB rather than going 8800 GT 256MB SLI, as performance will not be much greater and you will be heavily limited in the resolutions you can realistically game at due to not much video memory.

Yes. Worst case you may have to clock down the SSC card to standard clocks -- some people report heavy screen tearing and other issues when running SLI with two cards running considerably different clocks. Some however (Dan D being among them) claim to have never seen any such problems, so I personally would just put the second card in and see how it does before worrying about clocks.

Brand is not important, but it /must/ be an 8800GT (not one of the many GTS variants, or a GTX / Ultra) and must have the same amount of video memory -- hopefully 512MB. If it's one of the 256MB GTs, I'd recommend you sell it and pick up a 512MB rather than going 8800 GT 256MB SLI, as performance will not be much greater and you will be heavily limited in the resolutions you can realistically game at due to not much video memory.

QFT.

Thank you. :)

Back