Can you run a GPU in slot 2 on the motherboard with slot one empty? NH-D14 covering 1

doug_7506

2[H]4U
So I recently acquired a z77/2500k system. I want to slap a 280x in there but I ran into a problem. The system has a Noctua NH-D14 is so big that I can only put a GPU in slot one if I squeze it in there and then the heatsink applies a good bit of pressure to the GPU.

So can I just put the card in slot 2 and call it a day? Or do I need to order a smaller cooler?

This montherboard
This cooler

Cant test with PSU since it wont be in for a few days. Would rather order the cooler now If i'm going to need it.

EDIT:
I think the previous owner/shipping may have bent the cooler. It seems that the rear of the cooler is angled about 10 degrees away from the motherboard and is hanging slightly down.

Last edited:
I haven't used that particular board, but I have an Asrock Z77 board and when I had my 660 Ti SLI setup, it was capable of booting with a single card installed in either slot. I discovered that when the primary card died and I had to replace it and I ran on the secondary card alone for about a week.

Back