Can you plug powerstrips into a UPS?

Drawmonster

2[H]4U
I just orderd the Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD. We've been having a lot of power outages lately, and it screws up all the HTPC's when my server goes down.

All the documentation and the FAQ on Cyberpowers site says NOT to plug power-strips into the UPS as it voids the warranty.

I had planned on just unplugging the power-strips I currently have for my gaming computer, 2 of them, and plugging them into the UPS. Then plugging my server into the 3rd batter backup slot, and having one batter backup jack free.

Anyone done something like this, or are power-strips really a no-no?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, you can plug in a power strip. No, the warranty is not voided.

---

Each receptical on the UPS is rated for a certain amperage regardless of how the amperage is used.

It all goes down to loading. That UPS has 4 battery ports and 3 surge-only. If you need to have 10 - 14 devices powered off the UPS, buy a bigger UPS. You should be using the UPS to either endure a short cessation of power or to shut it down gracefully if that loss continues. This UPS is not going to give you any kind of runtime with a gaming PC, a server and obviously a dozen other devices connected. As to warranty issues with strips, generally I wouldn't expect them to know. They say so because putting a few strips of equipment on the UPS can damage it by the extreme draw that could be caused by that many devices loading the UPS (and that damage pattern they WILL see and will deny your warranty claim). You need to add up your load and then buy a UPS whose rated capacity will endure a power loss of the specified time you need.

Last edited:
I do. But you still got to observe the UPS max. Just because you can plug a dozen items in it doesn't mean you should.

I have one UPS attached to a number of my 'lower powered' devices. My modem, router/firewall, switch, kvm, monitor and other misc devices while my bigger ups take up each my esxi boxes.

From the reviews I read, this UPS can handle a lot. It's the most popular UPS on Newegg and toward the top on Amazon. I'm wanting the "Main Rig" and "Server" in my sig hooked up to it. The power outages we've been having lately are literally about a second long. Just long enough to reboot/power down the two computers. And restarting the server fucks a lot of stuff up.

So I need the battery to run for a few seconds. On an extended outage, I will have the computers just shutdown when they go on battery. So I'm not looking to use the computers while on battery, just to keep them from rebooting when the power flickers.

Forgive me, but I thought the thread title had read "Can you plug gunships into a UPS?"

From the reviews I read, this UPS can handle a lot. It's the most popular UPS on Newegg and toward the top on Amazon. I'm wanting the "Main Rig" and "Server" in my sig hooked up to it. The power outages we've been having lately are literally about a second long. Just long enough to reboot/power down the two computers. And restarting the server fucks a lot of stuff up.

So I need the battery to run for a few seconds. On an extended outage, I will have the computers just shutdown when they go on battery. So I'm not looking to use the computers while on battery, just to keep them from rebooting when the power flickers.

If all you are getting are blips in the power then you should be fine with this. In any case, if the power does stay off for longer you should install Powerpanel (the software that comes with the UPS) and run a USB cable to your server. This way if you aren't there you can have WHS shut itself down gracefully in case of extended failure.

Power strips are fine, but MOV-based surge strips are not recommended. If the MOV engages for any reason (e.g., it may have a clamping voltage lower than that on the UPS itself), the resultant short from the MOV--its intended behavior--could cause the UPS to shut down or potentially cause it damage.

On the flip side, I prefer to have a basic MOV-based surge device upstream of the UPS. A UPS is itself an expensive piece of equipment, and while it has good protection built in(usually more MOVs in front of more eleaborate active components), if they take a big hit, the MOV can essentially vaporize and cover the inside of the UPS with nasty, conductive deposits, effectively killing it.

I tend to avoid mov based surge suppressors as they tend to be a little unpredictable (though they are cheap. Inductor/Capacitor based surge models are generally superior (though they may cost more).

Sure, but the point remains--use basic power strips downstream of a UPS, not surge supression strips.

Yes, but it is harder to find a decently constructed (cheap) one, as movs are a cheap way to add suppression and another bullet point to the packaging.

Back