can you just setup 1 rear port of your router to connect to a VPN provider?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
because I want that port to connect to a video LAN device.

and the other 3 ports of my router, I don't care, I don't need VPN protection.

as I notice some VPN service speed is slow during normal business hr., and back to regular speed after 10 pm. So there is no sense for me to be slow down on places that I don't need VPN protection.

What do you mean by 'video LAN device'? What's the network map look like?

Video LAN device for e.g., a big screen LCD TV connects to the router, and the router connects to the cable modem at the moment.

On unrelated matter, my PC connects to the same router

So you want a direct connection from the tv to a vpn provider, correct?

If so, there's a couple of ways to do this. The easiest would be to get a router that supports this type of connection in its firmware and use it just for the tv, connecting it to either a second IP address from your ISP or into your existing router's wan or dmz. The rest of your network would stay the same.

To your 1st question:yes

now, you are saying daisy chain 2 router? Say the speed comes from the cable modem is x

you think I can still get x/2 per router?

To your 1st question:yes

now, you are saying daisy chain 2 router? Say the speed comes from the cable modem is x

you think I can still get x/2 per router?
The cabling would look like daisy chaining, but there's no such thing in networking. What you are doing is connecting either the second router to the cable modem along with the first using a switch (preferred method), or you are connecting the second router wan port to the lan port of the first.

Seems like Tomato firmware supports what you're looking to do -- setting up a VPN connection on the router side, then selectively sending some clients through it but not others.

https://support.hidemyass.com/hc/en...ing-for-Tomato-firmware-Per-source-IP-address
I was thinking something like this would be available, but not sure how buggy it would be for select clients. Otherwise this would be the perfect platform for the second router as it can just encapsulate all the traffic, which would be just the TV.

I was thinking something like this would be available, but not sure how buggy it would be for select clients. Otherwise this would be the perfect platform for the second router as it can just encapsulate all the traffic, which would be just the TV.

Shouldn't even need the second router with that set up, though.

True, but who knows how buggy the implementation is since it's kinda a niche use-case.

Valid point, but if his router can run tomato he can try this without needing to purchase anything else. If it works, great. If not, he can still go the other way.

Valid point, but if his router can run tomato he can try this without needing to purchase anything else. If it works, great. If not, he can still go the other way.
Good point. Sounds like a plan for the op to execute. :cool:

I may have find a 2nd way. They have a android application that allows the box to connect to a VPN, I just have to figure out how the step by step is.

I may have find a 2nd way. They have a android application that allows the box to connect to a VPN, I just have to figure out how the step by step is.
Oh wow, that's great! Keep us posted. This would be a great solution. :cool:

Back