• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can you guys help me out?

waldog

Gawd
Joined
Mar 25, 2002
Messages
598
Looking to upgrade my Ti4200 - no reason, just want to be a little more current.
  1. Budget is around $150
  2. I have never been a huge gamer, though I do occasionally play some FPS's
  3. I dont generally keep up on the latest/greatest video cards, but I am willing to learn
  4. I have read the stickies, and done some moderate research, but I just dont have the time to do it properly

What I need is a recommendation. My thoughts are a 6600 or 6600GT, or a 9800 Pro, or something similar. The card needs 1 analog and 1 DVI, and I need to be able to use both as I run dual monitors. I find limited info about the cards in this area. Looking for the best bang for the buck kind of thing. I shop the Egg, ZZF, MWave, and a couple others occasionally. Help and links ARE appreciated! I am off to work, but will check back soon.

TIA

dog
 
That PowerColor 9800 is a great price - not a Pro, but that's OK. Refurbs are OK on some things, but I dont think I would buy a refurb vid card. Especaially a 9800. I heard those things have artifacting problems under load. True?

The XFX 6800 - I looked at that one. Rebates are not that bad, but the price is getting out there. Originally my budget was $100, until I realized what kind of marginal card I could get for that. Yeah I know it's $150 AR, but it's still money spent initially. This one I will keep on the list. How would I find out if both outputs can be used at the same time? From what I understand, some cards only allow you to use one at a time.

The EVGA 6600GT - this one was near the top of my list. Would it perform as well, better or worse than the vanilla 6800? And again, how would I find out if both outputs can be used at the same time?

Any personal experiences with specific cards/brands are welcome. Thanks!

dog
 
Thanks for the Toms link - I remember seeing that a quite a while ago, but couldn't remember where (dont really hang at Toms).

The 9600XT is a nice card, I just wanted something a bit, well, more. I looked thru the 3Dmarks, and the 6600 and the 9600XT are very close, but both cards get spanked in some applications. The 9800 Pro is consistently in the middle of the pack as is the 6600GT.

So armed with synthetic numbers, I think I am leaning towards a 6600GT, or the 6800 linked above.
I'll just spend a little more. Budget is now $175 max. Just need to choose the best card.

How do all the different brands compare? Any one brand stand out with everyone? I do like a quiet fan on the card, or fanless. I most likely wont overclock the card. BTW, I never mentioned it, but I am looking at an AGP card.

dog
 
Well out of your thoughts, the 6600GT will be the best performer out of all, but if you can get a 6800NU get it man.
 
delusion_2005 said:
Well out of your thoughts, the 6600GT will be the best performer out of all, but if you can get a 6800NU get it man.

Dude, the 6800NU - holy crap! Back in the day I could have bought 4 cars for that kind of cash. Not nice cars mind you, but still. Way more power than I need right now. Still looking aorund, buying something next week. Input is appreciated!
 
Back
Top