Can you do a repair installation of Windows 7?

DarkCyber

[H]ard|Gawd
Can you pop in the Windows 7 dvd and do a repair installation like you could with Windows XP? The only thing I have found is Windows 7 tries to repair or fix the current installation. I cannot find a way to make it basically re-installation on top of the current installation and not loose any of your installed data and programs.

You must be able to boot into windows. Then put in your win7 DVD and install using the 'Upgrade' option. There were a few programs that I had to reinstall afterward, but it was relatively painless.

Can you pop in the Windows 7 dvd and do a repair installation like you could with Windows XP? The only thing I have found is Windows 7 tries to repair or fix the current installation. I cannot find a way to make it basically re-installation on top of the current installation and not loose any of your installed data and programs.

YES!!!!! ;) :D

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

It's like doing an upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7. :cool: :p

EDIT: You need to be able to boot to he Windows 7 installation that you want to repair though. :(

Thanks!

So, you cannot do it the old way we did it with XP, where you use the installation disc and boot up with it and then choose the second repair option and from there it would re-install the OS (this is done without having to get to the desktop).

With Windows 7 you have to be able to get to the desktop to be able to do a reinstallation...correct? Not much help if you have problem booting to the desktop.

Back