Can you delete data from a non RW DVD?

Mayhs

2[H]4U
I know this is a really stupid question and i think i already know the answer (no), but no harm in asking eh?

'person who asks a question is a fool for 5 mins, person who doesnt is a fool forever'

story:

i taught my bro how to burn dvds and he started burning them...i come back home and hes gone through 8, none of which have worked...so i asked him to show me his procedure of burning...he showed me twice (without inserting a disc), both times he forgot to put the the actual file to burn onto the disc...i then realised that the dvd burner didnt put anything onto the dvd, but just did something to the buffer (of the dvd) and then said 'no file'...

so basically the dvds have nothing on them but the dvds have been 'written' on once already...

Thnx
Mayhs

The lead in may have already been written to the disc, but then no data was found so it ended there. The question is, was the disc burned in multisession mode? If so, you can add stuff to it, but to me it sounds like the disc wasn't being written in multisession mode.

Also, you can't erase data from a non-RW.

Well it isn't that big a deal. I mean DVD-R's are like $0.20 these days.

As already said, *if* they were burnt in multi session mode, you should be able to add more sessions.

Secondly, I *think*, even on plain old DVD-R's, if you are in multi session mode, when you open it in Nero to burn more files, it imports the previous sessions, and shows them in and tree and you can delete files from the old sessions. They will flag the file as deleted.

You can't recover the space and use that area again, but it wont show up when listing the file contents?

right?

Well it isn't that big a deal. I mean DVD-R's are like $0.20 these days.

nope but its a waste of resoures...and im backing up my dvds and id rather have them done sooner rather than later (ive run out of dvds now)

ok well im backing up my dvds right now...i got this programme (advised by a member from here) to burn my owned dvds onto the computer but it backs them up as images:)confused: dont know why though...i prefer using dvd decrypter) anyways i was using the software he suggested...then i used imgburn (from www.imgburn.com) to burn the img back into a dvd file...

i dont know if imgburn is a multisession one or not...but no space was taken up thats what is annoying me...

Take out a sharpie, and make circular lines on the bottom side of the disk. Sure to erase something.

short answer: NO

Unless it was multi-session, don't waste your time looking for a possible way to get those discs usable again. Go out and get some DVD-R's.

If you are using a program like that, it may have not written to it in multi-session mode. Not sure though, never used it.

Back