Can windows do this? What's it called?

arkamw

[H]ard|Gawd
I had thought that it was possible, when signing in to a domain, to have the user settings (printers, favorites, desktop, etc) carry over to whatever computer that you sign on to. Can it actually do this or am I thinking of something else? If it can do this, what is this called? I had thought that it was called roaming profiles, but I don't think that's it.

e.x. I sign into computer 1 at location A. I am thinking that I should be able to go to computer 2 or computer 3 at location A or (even better) go to computer 1 or computer 2 at location B and have the same desktop that I have at computer 1, location A.

(This is only for my own education; I have no hope of getting the IT team to change their policies though this is a company-wide complaint)

yes, roaming profiles store all your settings, my documents, background, favorites, and so on. The profile is loaded from the profile path specified in active directory users and computers, and any computer you sign in to on the domain downloads eeeverything to the local machine upon sign-in (first time its a pain).

Huh, it WAS roaming profiles. Thanks for the responses and the links. I have some reading to do for the holidays.

roaming profiles are dead IMHO, period:D. They're highly inefficient and soon to be unsupported(so i hear). You need to read up on folder redirection, this is the "new and improved" way to allow a user to carry on they're local settings throughout the domain.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/en-us/management/manage_faq.mspx

Edit: I just wanted to add that there are certain file types that MS doesn't allow you to cache on the folder redirection server, they wont tell you this in a how to guide or anything. You must change a specific GPO to allow for the file type to be cached if by default its not. The only problem I had was with the outlook pst file by default, and this is easily fixed like I said via that GPO( the name escapes me :p ). Have fun reading.

Back