can we use some sort of usb stick as a smart card to authenicate users? instead of pw

t0mmyr

[H]ard|Gawd
I was asked the question today if we could use some sort of USB memory stick to log into our windows boxes instead of typing our long passwords out everytime we lock a system, I alway see options in networking about smartcard and so and so but I've never really looked into it...so it got me thinking too, it would be great to just carry a small usb card on my keys and pop it into my pc when I want to log in, is this even possible? Where do I start? Who sells something like this?

I was asked the question today if we could use some sort of USB memory stick to log into our windows boxes instead of typing our long passwords out everytime we lock a system, I alway see options in networking about smartcard and so and so but I've never really looked into it...so it got me thinking too, it would be great to just carry a small usb card on my keys and pop it into my pc when I want to log in, is this even possible? Where do I start? Who sells something like this?

I'm also interested :) however my laptop has the fingerprint reader on it tho.

I hear Windows 8 (or whatever they call the next version of windows) is supposed to have biometrics face recognition so as soon as you sit in front of your desktop or laptop it logs you into your user, but who knows how long it'll be for that to come out, that would be great though.

I hear Windows 8 (or whatever they call the next version of windows) is supposed to have biometrics face recognition so as soon as you sit in front of your desktop or laptop it logs you into your user, but who knows how long it'll be for that to come out, that would be great though.

They already have facial recognition.

I don't think there will be USB stick type of logon because of security reasons. It's far easier to steal, lose and find a USB stick compared to a passwords that's in your brain. If someone does lose it, you'll have to replace it and deactivate it, compared to just going and changing someone's password.

we've got enough security in our office that it's been called fort knox by visitors, lol...i wouldnt worry much if users lost their usb cuz u have to get into our offices first to access anyones domain pc

Back