Can voip be used on more then just phones that are connected to pcs?

VoIP does not require a PC. In fact in businesses, that's the least common configuration. VoIP service providers such as Vonage, ViaTalk, Nuvio, etc. provide customers with either VoIP phones, or adapters which plug directly into an ethernet network.

Yes, the phones are 100% independent of a PC.

The phones power up and register with the phone system as to their IP. When calls come in, the signaling is sent to that IP.

The cool thing about VoIP is that, as long as u have network connectivity, you can receive your calls anywhere.

For example, I run Asterisk on my box at my house. I have a VoIP (SIP) phone at my fiancee's house. I can take that phone anywhere with internet access and it will register with it's current location and my number will ring there.

Not that I can't google for information on VoIP, but does anyone know where there are some really good free resources for understanding and implementing this technology? I have a 10+ year old PBX system and is gonna fail soon and want to learn this whole VoIP thing.......The only thing I know is that is uses a different protocol.....

Simplest way is to wire the ATA into your telephone patch panel. That way, every phone jack in the house is magically connected to Vonage/VoIP. Basically, all your phones run through (eventually) Analog Telephone Adapter, which turns your analog phone data into digital data, which then goes out over teh intarweb to (probably, some kinda switching system on your VoIP provider's end). Most systems use SIP standard ports, and I know Vonage likes to tftp updates onto the ATA as well.

rayoc79 said:
Not that I can't google for information on VoIP, but does anyone know where there are some really good free resources for understanding and implementing this technology? I have a 10+ year old PBX system and is gonna fail soon and want to learn this whole VoIP thing.......The only thing I know is that is uses a different protocol.....

Fisrt place to start... Go google "Asterisk @ home"

I oversee network operations for a small phone company (10,000 access lines). We have a softswitch that does VoIP, we run 2 gigabit ethernet cables running from our phone switch into our core etherne switch, from there it goes out to our fiber to the premise network. At the customer side we have a NID/ATA that goes provides up to 8 standard Pots ports, 8 ethernet ports and 8 coax ports(we could do RF cable if we wanted to). The customer doesn't even realize they are using VoIP, to them it's just a regular phone line. We also offer a hosted PBX solution that utilizes SIP IP Phones and standard ethernet cables and our softswitch to offer a PBX replacement.

Long Distance companies almost all have or are switching to utilizing VoIP to haul long distance, since many of the underlying LD carriers also control the internet it allows them to use 1 network for all their services.

niccoli said:
At the customer side we have a NID/ATA that goes provides up to 8 standard Pots ports, 8 ethernet ports and 8 coax ports(we could do RF cable if we wanted to). The customer doesn't even realize they are using VoIP, to them it's just a regular phone line.

Very snazzy. Just one question: how is the ATA powered? And what happens if the power to the residence is off for whatever reason (i.e. emergency)?

I'd assume they'd lose service. Whereas with traditional phone service, their corded phones would continue to be powered by the phone company. Only disadvantage i see, though the importance of it is lessened with the fact that most people use cordless phones anyway, and the fact that most people have cell phones too.

The NID's run on 12v power, we have a special APC battery backup that has an AC plug into a battery and from the battery 12v out into the NID. In the event of a power failure the customer has phone for 8 to 12 hours on battery backup. Through our element management system we can configure the NID to power down the ethernet ports if the power goes out to conserve battery power. Being a full blown telco means we need to be just as reliable as any other telco, otherwise the regulatory board get's rather upset...and we'd get our pants sued the first time the power flashed, someone had to dial 911 and had no dialtone.

Back