Can use Internet, Can Not browse Windows network

mcravenufo

Ravenufo's Macs
I have a problem box. It is a Windows 2000 box that can access the internet just fine. The other day it became unable to browse the network.
These are the systems:
- I am able to get on all websites and ping websites
- No computers show up while browsing the network in Windows Explorer
- I can not manually add a mapped drive (through Tool), "The network location cannot be reached."
- If a local computer is in the hosts file, I can ping it but still can not map it.

Any help?

make sure that by some reason just incase your windows box is still in the same workgroup/domain.

When I set it to my Domain, I receive this error:
Network Identification
The following error occurred validating the name.
This condition may be caused by a DNS lookup problem.
The specified domain either does not exists or could not be contacted.

I know the domain exists because I have other computers set to it.

What about Start>Run> \\OtherPCIPAddy\SharedItemName from the 2000 box?

If your getting a message about the domain doesnt exist....is the 2000 box set to use the domain controller as its DNS server in IPConfig ?

What about Start>Run> \\OtherPCIPAddy\SharedItemName from the 2000 box?

When I do this, I get an error, "The network path was not found."

If your getting a message about the domain doesnt exist....is the 2000 box set to use the domain controller as its DNS server in IPConfig ?

It was set to get a DNS automatically, I changed it to the domain controller IP and still no go.

Stupid question, but have you checked to see if File and Printer Sharing is enabled or installed in your connection properties? Can you create a share on your own PC and browse it?

Stupid question, but have you checked to see if File and Printer Sharing is enabled or installed in your connection properties? Can you create a share on your own PC and browse it?

File and Print Sharing is enabled. I can create a share but I can't see the pc in the Network folders, I can't see any PC. I can only see the name of the work group or domain.

". I can create a share but I can't see the pc in the Network folders, I can't see any PC. I can only see the name of the work group or domain."

- Thats a common problem, network neighborhood doesnt always work right, always try Start>Run\\OtherPCName\SharedItemName

Back