Can USB data be simultaneously split?

AFV

n00b
I have searched this site and many others looking for a way to "split" or mirror data from an USB device (bar code scanner)to two computers. We need to do a parallel cut-over from a legacy asset management system (whose interface, at each loading dock, is a LAN connected PC with an USB bar code scanner) to a WEB application using a laptop with the same USB scanner. Years ago I designed a RS-232 serial port Y cable that allowed the SMDR data from a PBX to go to both a data capture serial port on a computer and another device by utilizing signal diodes.

Not anticipating the firmware/software/timing and control logic involved, I thought all I needed to do was match a pair of diodes that would block the computers from sending or receiving data from each other, as I had done before. USB is much more technologically complex.

All the research I have read, so far, leads me to believe that I would have to design a "black box" which would interface between the scanner and the two computers. The box would look like a computer to the scanner, a scanner to each computer, and thereby spoofing each component. I don’t think I have the technical “chops” to get this done in a timely and efficient manner if at all. Though if anyone has done this before, please share the details. I’m very good with making things work from a plan/schematic etc.

OR: Plan B seems to be to share the USB port in either Windows XP Pro, Windows 2000 Pro or Windows 7 Pro. I would need to have the windows for the resident app. and the browser (running the WEB app.) simultaneously read each scanned barcode. I am not sure how to do that either.

I hope that I’ll be able to find someone with a workable solution to this question. Thanks, in advance for your helpful thoughts and suggestions!

I have searched this site and many others looking for a way to "split" or mirror data from an USB device (bar code scanner)to two computers. We need to do a parallel cut-over from a legacy asset management system (whose interface, at each loading dock, is a LAN connected PC with an USB bar code scanner) to a WEB application using a laptop with the same USB scanner. Years ago I designed a RS-232 serial port Y cable that allowed the SMDR data from a PBX to go to both a data capture serial port on a computer and another device by utilizing signal diodes.

Not anticipating the firmware/software/timing and control logic involved, I thought all I needed to do was match a pair of diodes that would block the computers from sending or receiving data from each other, as I had done before. USB is much more technologically complex.

All the research I have read, so far, leads me to believe that I would have to design a "black box" which would interface between the scanner and the two computers. The box would look like a computer to the scanner, a scanner to each computer, and thereby spoofing each component. I don’t think I have the technical “chops” to get this done in a timely and efficient manner if at all. Though if anyone has done this before, please share the details. I’m very good with making things work from a plan/schematic etc.

OR: Plan B seems to be to share the USB port in either Windows XP Pro, Windows 2000 Pro or Windows 7 Pro. I would need to have the windows for the resident app. and the browser (running the WEB app.) simultaneously read each scanned barcode. I am not sure how to do that either.

I hope that I’ll be able to find someone with a workable solution to this question. Thanks, in advance for your helpful thoughts and suggestions!

Disclaimer: I am not at all an expert when it comes to USB. But I would think it can't work similarly to your example with the PBX because of how USB operates vs. RS232. 232 being unidirectional method that allows interrupts, it doesn't require polling as USB does. With USB, the host and client need to properly talk to each other, with the client polling for data packets and the host sending them (perhaps I have reversed host and client with this example)--and you can have only one host or client, not multiple.

If what you want to do is connect a scanner to two computers--with the end result being that a scan shows up on both computers from a single scanner, it's probably something you'll have to do with a software solution handling the scanned barcode's data file, once it is scanned by the original computer.

It may be physically possible to construct a black-box sort of interface in principle, but I wouldn't have the slightest clue where to start, if it is even possible, and how to deal with any sort of proprietary things that may be associated with the barcode scanner/software.

But I am interested to see if someone else has more info--just curiosity.

Something like what was posted for me elsewhere (see below) is what I had in mind. It would be great if I didn't have to invent that wheel.

"If you want to build something, you'll need a microcontroller board which can be a USB host, and then two suitable back-channel interfaces to the PCs. (logic-level) USB-serial cables would be a good solution there, since you can connect two to a single UART output from the microcontroller. ............" – Chris Stratton

Thanks for your input. I realize this may be a bit like tilting windmills. I was hoping for finding that someone has already designed and tested (a ready to go solution) something like what was suggested below:

If you want to build something, you'll need a microcontroller board which can be a USB host, and then two suitable back-channel interfaces to the PCs. (logic-level) USB-serial cables would be a good solution there, since you can connect two to a single UART output from the microcontroller. Another option, if you are used to scanners which emulate keyboards, would be to try to bit-bang two keyboard interfaces out of the MCU - might be a little tricky, but could well be possible. – Chris Stratton

I have this solution.
It can be split USB barcode data to two computers.
Please check below video

Back