Can u fix a computer that is getting a blue screen periodically w/o knowing the code?

BBCMember

n00b
A client of mine has gotten a blue screen two times in the past month (Dell desktop). He said with no warning, the screen goes black, and then comes up with the blue screen. He noticed that it said "ready to dump memory," but he didn't get the rest of what it said. He panicked and shut off the computer. When he boots it back up, it says that Windows recovered from a serious error and asks him to click a button to send a report. He does it. Then he gets a Windows Error Reporting window.

It's most likely an OS issue, driver issue, or hardware issue (e.g. RAM), right?

Is it possible to fix it without knowing the error code? It's only happened twice in the past month, but he wants it fixed.

Suggestions?

Check temps of CPU, gfx card, motherboard.
Inspect the PC for dust, if dusty then clean it. I would strip it apart and clean then re-assemble.
If overclocked, then set back to stock speed and verify it works ok.

If it's just twice a month, perhaps a software conflict, but still could hardware.

Ask him if he does something unique before it blue screens like perhaps doing something that is heavy on system resources, or opening a particular program etc. Otherwise, as Nenu mentioned check temps, dedust the PC (hold the fan still when dedusting), run MemTest86+.

What's really gay about these sort of issues is since it happens so infrequently it is difficult to see if you fixed it.

^^^

Regardless there should be a log in the event viewer. Let me know if you don't know how to access that. Look under System, and under the Source column look at anything that is a Save Dump or a System Error. It should list the code there.You just need the basic 0x000000XX (XX is last two characters) to get a basic idea of what caused the error.

Sometimes there's a file name there too.

Sometimes there's a file name there too.

Normally you only get a kernal dump file if you configure the OS to create a memory dump.

I this users case, if there is no error in the event vwr, i would configure windows to create a kernal dump on the C drive and analyze that next time a crash occures

It's usually set by default that's why. Unless someone manually changed the setting.

Back