Can Thunderbird import Netscape 4.79 mail?! How?!

Dance123

n00b
Hi,

Can anybody tell me if Thunderbird can import Netscape 4.79 mail and how well this goes? Will this go without any trouble or is it not so easy? What's the easiest/best way to do this? Will Thunderbird import the old NS 4.79 mail directly? Also, in NS 4.79 mail you have 2 copies of each file, one without extension and one with the .snm extension. How will Thunderbird deal with this?!

Anybody could give some clear guidelines please? Thanks alot!!

Have you tried simply copying the file over? I'm not familiar with what file type Thunderbird uses to save mail, so that may be a dumb idea. I thought I would mention it, however.

That said...

Netscape's big flaw, and the reason that I switched mail clients, is that in many installs it never deletes any mail permanently. Every piece of mail, spam, etc. that you have ever received may still there, although it appears to be deleted from inside Netscape Messenger.

You may be able to import the Netscape mail into Outlook Express, and then Thunderbird will import it from Outlook Express. That's another idea that should work. If not, download the mail client Poco for the thirty day trial. It will most definitely import from Netscape. The thing about it is that it may well find all of your mail, and that can be a hassle. Still, it is worth a try. While you have the thirty day trial, you may as well give Poco a try. I believe that it is the most flexible, most secure and most user friendly mail client around.

mosin said:
Netscape's big flaw, and the reason that I switched mail clients, is that in many installs it never deletes any mail permanently. Every piece of mail, spam, etc. that you have ever received may still there, although it appears to be deleted from inside Netscape Messenger.
Where does it store the emails you delete in Nescape? How/where can you permanently delete them?! If you simply uninstall Netscape 4.79, will ALL emails (also the ones you deleted in Netscape) be completely deleted or does it still store them somewhere?!

Does Thunderbird not have that problem (isn't Mozilla also the people who made Netscape or am I wrong about that) and also my original question, anybody knows how well it imports NS 4.79 mail?!

Thanks for all good feedback! :)

Dance123 said:
Where does it store the emails you delete in Nescape? How/where can you permanently delete them?! If you simply uninstall Netscape 4.79, will ALL emails (also the ones you deleted in Netscape) be completely deleted or does it still store them somewhere?!
I don't know. They are probably gone, unless you use some hard drive data recovery tool. Even then, you would need to know what you are looking for.

Dance123 said:
Does Thunderbird not have that problem (isn't Mozilla also the people who made Netscape or am I wrong about that) and also my original question, anybody knows how well it imports NS 4.79 mail?!
No. AOL bought Netscape. Then, they couldn't figure out what to do with it, so they gave it away. It's open source now, and the Mozilla guys simply ripped it apart and made something decent out of it. AOL could never do something like that, of course. Giving it away was the only decent thing they ever did. :D

Dance123 said:
Thanks for all good feedback! :)
You're welcome. Did you try any of those ideas?

Back