Can this Coolermaster handle it?

horaciocs

n00b
Hi all. I'm putting together an overclocked C2D system. I've been at it for nearly two months, but I am finally coming to a conclusion and things seem to be coming together fine.

I'l have a E4300 running at around 3.0ghz on a GA-965P-DS3 Rev 3.3. I'll use a 1gb stick of G Skill DDR2 800mhz running at 800-900mhz (~2.2Vdimm) and my video card will be a eVGA Geforce 7900GS 256mb KO.

For now, I'll use a single ATA Seagate 120Gb harddisk (7200 rpm) and a optic drive. In the future I'll probably use some sort of Sata harddisk together with what I already have.

My case will have 2 extra fans (12v) and I'll stick to the stock cpu hsf. In the future I might switch to a Tuniq Tower (don't know if that may be affected by the power supply enough to be taken into consideration) in order to get to the final oc at around 3.0ghz.

I looked at many different power supplies, an found that the COOLER MASTER RS-550-ACLY sounded interesting (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817171009 ).

Do you think it can handle this system stable 24/7? If not, could you please show me some different ones in it's price range ( $100-$130 max) ?

Thanks in advance,

Horacio

+1 on the Corsair. I LOVE mine.

The only con is that because I use a case where the PSU is at the bottom I have to upside down mount the PSU which means the nice red Corsair logo is upside down :(

For your price range, you can get a lot of good power supplies. The coolermaster, looking at specs seems decent. It's got active pfc for one. But definitely, a corsair unit for the same price would be excellent. I was going to say that the ultra vpower 500w would even be fine (around 70% efficiency though, can run hot), and it usually runs for free after rebate. However, that said, I went through 2 of them before getting a good one.

If you wanted to spend a little less, ewiz has the enhance 500w which is good. I kind of wish it had a single 12v rail instead of two, but it's been decent.

my psu went bang... down to the huge gfx draw i think. but i've now ordered the hiper type-r 580w because it's such a good psu... but it's not enough really for an 8800gtx so i'm getting the thermaltake purepower express :p

Uhm, I really did think Coolermasters weren't that bad.

*moving on to Corsairs* ;)

Rebates aren't for me, since I'm from Brazil :mad: The Corsair 520HX is running at $130 at newegg. Unfortunately, clubit doesn't have the 520hx for sale, but their 620hx is at $138, so I guess that will be it.

Any other opinions besides the Corsairs? I say that because here in Brazil I doubt I'll ever find a Corsair power supply and shipping costs from abroad are a bit expensive. All we have here are Thermaltakes and other major ones. Top models are way too expensive, so people usually stick to cheaper models (under $50 usd).

If I can't find anything capable of supporting my system here in Brazil then importing will be the way to go. :)

Thanks for the help!

I have my E6600 running at 3.2ghz, 3 SATA hard drives, a SATA DVD burner, 2 gigs o ram, and an 8800GTX, and it runs like a dream. Quiet, and more stable than any other rig I have had.

Yeah I just built the system in my sig with the 620 version and I love it. Runs quiet and has 50A on the rails. The system with Vista runs flawless so far. Very strong.

I don't think you could go wrong with that power supply. Tonight I'm going to try some OC'ing here if a get a different heatsink/fan.

Back