can this antenna be added to this WAP?

I don't see any specs as to what type of connector they're using for that sardine can wap. Look at the connector on the wap and see if it's a small(less than 1cm) screw on type of connector or a larger connector that has 2 raised dots that twists on. The twist on type is BNC, and the smaller screw on type is SMA.

To let you know, a higher gain omnidirectional antenna 'tightens up' the radition path. By this I mean, it gets narrower. If you haveing problems and everythign is on the same floor, the antenna might help. You may want to see if you can move the wap to a better location first though, because walls really kill a signal in the 2.4GHz range.

cyr0n_k0r said:
I have a netgear MR814
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MR814.php?view=hm

but I am not getting as much range as I would like. (through walls) So I was wondering if I could add this antenna to the WAP?

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hg2405rd_rtp.php

Hey,
All Netgear AP's have RP-SMA connectors, except the MR814 which does NOT have a removable antenna. After a quick google search, one of the sites said it already had a 5dbi antenna anyway, so the 5.5dbi rubber-duck that you linked wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

I'd recommend upgrading the antenna on you wireless adapter. Hawking Technology makes excellent antenna upgrades that come with RP-SMA connectors and RP-TNC adapters so they'll work on almost any adapter/AP with a removable antenna. The directional one is usually a better idea.

Well that's what I get for trusting the intarweb.. lol :p

It looks like a Reverse Polarity SMA (RP-SMA) connector, TNC connectors are much bigger.

can you tell me what connection it uses so I can get an antenna?

Reverse Polarity SMA. RP-SMA. As mentioned I believe that has a 5 dBi antenna on it already and should be plenty of juice. You'll spend some money to get much higher gain than that. I would also recommend you work on the client side if possible.

The twist on type is BNC, and the smaller screw on type is SMA

No BNC connectors that I am aware of. You will see alot of RP-TNC connectors however. Stranger things have happened and I haven't seen every AP out there of course.

Back