Can the new version of Veeam effectively backup a Physical Exchange server?

Exchange has a few different requirements and I see the new Veeam is advertising physical backup. Can it effectively backup a physical Exchange server?

Actually just spoke with my Veeam rep about physical backups this afternoon. As I understand it, they have an unmanaged physical agent now called Veeam Endpoint Protection which as been public for a couple years now. The managed version of that is due out by December with it's management tool by the end of Q1 2017. The physical side will be a different management interface called Veeam Availability Platform from the traditional Virtual Backup. Supposedly all of the VSS writing and log truncation features are live now with the current un-managed product and they have reports of admins using it in production environments.

Anyone doing their physical exchange backup with veeam? Or recommend another solution, obvioiusly no BackupExec
Are you talking about Veeam Endpoint 1.5? If so, no it's not officially compatible with "application aware" items such as Exchange. However, it will be able to backup the database as a whole but I doubt it will work for granular restore with Veeam Explorer but I've never tried it, just going off the FAQ. If you decide to use it make sure you enable circular logging. Also, there is supposed to be a way to enable VSS for Exchange with Windows Backup (if you need something free) but I've never tried it. Again, no granular restore, RDB only.

Can Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE be used to back up physical servers? Can it be used as an enterprise physical server backup tool?
Customers can use Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE to back up those few remaining physical Windows servers in their environment. Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE does not scale beyond a few servers, however, and does not implement server-specific backup features (e.g., Veeam advanced application-aware processing, support for server clusters, etc.).

SOURCE

Why not BackupExec? I ask because I am using 2015 to backup a 2010 Exchange server and have had 0 problems backing up and restoring.

I think we stopped Backup exec sometime after 2011. It was the worst for us, constant problems and having to check it every morning and seeing some error. Consider yourself very lucky.

Back