Can the new mini cpu's be upgraded?

atherton213 said:
mac sells one with the dual core so i dont htink the extra heat would be a problem... just see how those deal with the heat...

Very true, but I was thinking more along the lines of sticking a top of the line yonah in it, just to see the poor thing melt.

I'm sure the fans would just rev up. Anyone know about what RPM they run at by default, and an approximate maximum RPM? If it usually runs at 1500 RPM with the Core Duo under stress, and it maxes out at 400 RPM, it wouldn't so much "melt" as it would "get louder," most likely.

But there's always the chance that the logic board doesn't care which CPU you stick on it. That's how it is with the G5s. They're pin-to-pin compatible, but even if you stick a 2GHz G5 in a 1.8GHz model, it still runs at 1.8GHz.

I wonder if any of the HSF copanies will make an aftermarket heatsink. What is the stock one made out of, Aluminum? Copper would be very nice...

atherton213 said:
mac sells one with the dual core so i dont htink the extra heat would be a problem... just see how those deal with the heat...

Please for the love of god Apple is the name of the company , Mac is the name of the product ahhhh!

Black Morty Rackham said:
But there's always the chance that the logic board doesn't care which CPU you stick on it. That's how it is with the G5s. They're pin-to-pin compatible, but even if you stick a 2GHz G5 in a 1.8GHz model, it still runs at 1.8GHz.

It should work. It's been confirmed that the iMacs work with a 2.16GHz Core Duo, at the right speed and everything.

I also noticed the new mini has a SATA HD, I wonder what the possibilities are for an external one.

aside from routing the cables (which could/would be a huge pain), could the mini power supply take it? and why not just operate off of an external firewire drive?

You can get external enclosures just like for Firewire and there is an external spec eSATA. Performance should be a bit better over Firewire 400 although I have not seen any benchmarks comparing them.

sgi02 said:
Please for the love of god Apple is the name of the company , Mac is the name of the product ahhhh!

whatever.... :eek:

i guess if your not worried about noise you could always just leave it top less with a fan... .but then that kinda defeats the look and size of it....

Back