Can the FX5200 be any better? It is horrible...

Hey, I want my GF to give me a BJ but that doesn't mean any of this makes sense. :rolleyes:

To give any suggestions other then "buy a card that isn't a POS" we need some info from you on what your even talking about, Better then what? performance? lock ups? etc.. What's going on with it?!

Take out the cats, throw on a coffee can exhaust, add a park bench wing, and the biggest body kit you can find, lots of vinyls and stickers, and it should be hauling balls.

In all seriousness, you can overclock it to an extent, but either way... It's a bit of a weak card. It should be an indication when it's only a matter of pennies more than their MX series cards.

I would like a performance boost...a big one...is there a way to flash it? I've tried overclocking it, but it doesnt work well.

5200 is a pos if you want a faster card but dont wont to break the bank then go for a 6600gt

flash it with what...it wont except any other bios, its not an x800 pro vivo LOL

lol @ suggestions above. i'll add: fling it off a building, it will literally fly for a few seconds.

----
If you have a 64-bit memory bus 5200, forget about it. Nothing you do will make it perform decently.

The 128-bit memory bus 5200 runs older games well and even some modern games OK (HL2 runs fine in DX8.1 mode). The 5200 runs Far Cry horribly, Doom3 horribly and Halo horribly. Little can be done about those 3 games without sacrificing graphics quality by a lot.

What game(s) are you trying to run and type of performance do you expect? If you expect a lot, you're going to have to buy a new card.

take it and smash it with a hammer itll give you 300 fps...flying pieces a second

cell_491 said:
take it and smash it with a hammer itll give you 300 fps...flying pieces a second
lol...ok forget about it... im gettin a new system anyway by the end of this year so (AthlonFX-53!) dont worry about it.

yea i agree...im laughin right now at all the people who bought lga775 mobos and such because when the dual cores come out ddr2 will get replaced cause it sux and for amd everything is getting a makeover i wouldnt be surprised if we saw performance increases of 3x the current technology

The serious answer is that you can download Coolbits and overclock an FX 5200. Some of them get decent speed gains, but nothing to write home about. The best cheap card to get is a 9600 Pro for about $100, it will run all current games with non-puke-inducing performance. It is really the cheapest new card anybody should get; anything much cheaper isn't worth the radical crappiness increases that result unless you only do word processing. Of course, performance increases radically if you go up to around $200.

o hell yeah you can make it better..my lil bro has one...ok start by overclocking the memory alot..you sould at least get 75mhz out of the memory...with this...I gained 7fps in countrer strike source VST..yes...7..the 5200 is memory bandwidth starved...the core doesn't really do much...I got the core to 475..a total of 10 fps gain in CS:S VST.

GL

aZn_plyR said:
o hell yeah you can make it better..my lil bro has one...ok start by overclocking the memory alot..you sould at least get 75mhz out of the memory...with this...I gained 7fps in countrer strike source VST..yes...7..the 5200 is memory bandwidth starved...the core doesn't really do much...I got the core to 475..a total of 10 fps gain in CS:S VST.

GL
375 or 475 for the core? I cant pass 300... I got 500 for the memory

You're wasting your time trying to tweak that card. Stop now and start looking for a replacement. And next time build your computer yourself. Gateway sent you an ok computer with a really cheap ass graphics card.

dont go with an fx-53 if anything get an athlon 64 4000+ soc939 they overclock to be almost as fast as an fx-55

EgyptBoy20 said:
Thanks for the replies guys... i wanna keep the costs down, so no dual core ( :( ) for me...
?? how much are you paying for a FX-53?

the 5200 has been compared in speed and performance to a geforce2 which is top of the line. (oh wait, that was 5 years ago :rolleyes: )

my recomendation, scrap the 5200 and get a real card, like a 6600gt for about $200 with shipping

cell_491 said:
flash it with what...it wont except any other bios, its not an x800 pro vivo LOL

LMFAO ..yea i agree with everyone else here.. get a 6600 GT make sure its AGP!

Erc said:
Dude , buy a 6200 for like U$ 99 from newegg .
The $99 (+$3 shipping) Gigabyte 6200 at newegg is a PCI-E version. :p

The cheapest AGP version at newegg is $119 + $5 shipping.

yea buying a 6200 would be upgrading from a card that cant play anything to a NEW card that cant play anything...lol

cell_491 said:
yea buying a 6200 would be upgrading from a card that cant play anything to a NEW card that cant play anything...lol
The 6200 is faster than the 9600 Pro in some things and slower in others. I guess that means the 9600 Pro can't play any games either. :rolleyes:

" ey ya 3am " Egyptian :p

Do what I did .. buy an X800XT PE :p It's a few fps better than the the fx5200 ... if you smash that is !!

If you're not playing games then keep the card and wait.

As for the dual core design.. I dont think they'r gonna be that expensive. They said the costs will be reasonable unless they're releasing them as EE which I'm worried about

im curious as to if the lga 775 interface is just a hold me over or is it whats gonna carry the dual cores and when the hell are they gonna call them P5's lol

the 9600pro sux i wouldnt buy one..itll play everygame that the 5200 will fine but itll have just as much of a hard time playin HL2 as the 5200 and the 6200 will, if you gonna spend the money spendit on sumthin thats gonna make a difference

On an off topic note I will admit that the guy who modded his 6200 to near 9800Pro performance in that link was very very impressive.

cell_491 said:
the 9600pro sux i wouldnt buy one..itll play everygame that the 5200 will fine but itll have just as much of a hard time playin HL2 as the 5200 and the 6200 will, if you gonna spend the money spendit on sumthin thats gonna make a difference
It's nice to know that since you have no experience with the cards you mentioned that your opinion means nothing. Read some reviews to at least get an idea of the performance instead of just spouting nonsense.

FYI, the 5200 plays HL2 fine in DX8.1 mode (HL2 runs NV3x cards in DX8.1 mode by default) at 1024x768. The 9600 Pro plays HL2 fine in DX9 mode. The 6200 TC (wimpy version of 6200 with 64-bit memory bus) also plays HL2 just as well as the 9600 Pro does, and the regular 6200 is even faster. Those are not just my uninformed opinions, I have actually used all of those cards and benchmarked them.
---

Mister E said:
On an off topic note I will admit that the guy who modded his 6200 to near 9800Pro performance in that link was very very impressive.
The 6200 -> 6600 unlocking is easy, but that must have been a pretty impressive overclock (450MHz core is pretty easy) to get a modded 6200 up to 9800 Pro performance.

I think that must have been under very selective benchmarks because getting anywhere near the 256-bit memory bandwidth is impossible on a 6200/6600. IOW, maybe in lower resolutions (1280x1024 and below) and without FSAA the modded 6200 was as fast as a 9800 Pro. In high resolutions with FSAA i'm sure the 9800 Pro would kill it.

i had a 9600pro for 2 months and it blew i upgraded to a modded 9700pro (9500pro originally) and it was much faster then i got what i have now...check sig. i was not impressed at all by the 9600pro and would not recommend it to anyone or any card with similar performance a 9700 or 9800pro is bare min in my oppinion

Back