Can someone test a source for me?

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by Coldblackice, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Coldblackice

Coldblackice [H]ard|Gawd

In "Matrix: Revolutions" bluray (movie opinions aside :)), I'm hearing something that sounds reminiscent of blown speaker equipment, perhaps a tweeter or crossover.

It happens at 0:12:48-0:12:54, when Neo is talking with the programs in the train station as they await the train. As soon as they hear the train coming, the train sounds as if the sound is glitching out, like the frequencies can't be produced. :50-52 is the most glaring example of it, in the wide shot where Neo turns around to look toward the approaching train and the father walks toward his family to help them up.

It sounds strikingly similar to corrupted audio: disjointed, almost like tinny mp3 artifacts. This is from the bluray, so I'm unsure if other sources like DVD or streaming would have it.

Can anyone else confirm if this sounds weird to them? I'm OCD that either my tweeters or receiver are on the fritz. I'm trying to determine if it's either a problem with the bluray (I would think unlikely, as it wouldn't be just sound), or if it's the actual soundmix from the movie's production.

2. Sycraft

Sycraft [H]ardness Supreme

Does the box have a Cinavia logo on it? If so, that is probably the culprit.

I don't have the Blu-ray version personally, just the DVD version.

3. Coldblackice

Coldblackice [H]ard|Gawd

It doesn't. But I don't know how that would affect sound in a particular spot...?

Would you mind testing your DVD version? I'm beginning to think it may just be the movie's desired sound.

4. Sycraft

Sycraft [H]ardness Supreme

Cinavia could cause audible fuckups because it is a very bad form of DRM. It is designed to survive being recorded and compressed, so it falls in the audible band. While in theory you "won't notice" the changes it makes, they are well within our range of hearing.

However what you are talking about is part of the movie's Dolby Digital track. I checked the DVD and it is as you describe, digital distortion that is quite noticeable.

I would presume it is intentional, since the movie is so new. I have to imagine they have master copies of all the original sound mixes and thus if it were damaged in production they could and would remaster it.

Only other thing you can check is when watching the Blu-ray check the Dolby TrueHD audio stream, if your equipment supports it, rather than the Dolby Digital one. The DD stream is what the DVD has and what played in theatres, the TrueHD stream is presumably a new stream from the original masters. If it doesn't occur in the TrueHD stream, but does on the DD one, then it is a fuckup. If it is on both, it is highly probable that it is intentional.

It may be they were going for a digital sound to give you the idea of the train materializing or transferring to that part of the world, which then resolves in to normal train sound as it approaches.