Can someone please explain to me CPU stepping?

Shinare

Gawd
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
582
and it's significance? Like when I get my Barton 2500+ and I open it, how will I know to feel elated or disappointed at my luck?? Why does it matter to OC'ing?
 
stepping is basically revision. later and later revisions of a processor usually OC better and better, since as a company makes processors, they are gradually shifting towards making faster and faster ones...the engineers find improvements in the silicon design, theyre implemented at the factory, bam new stepping.
 
So is there a listing somewhere of the stepping order for a type of CPU?

EDIT: I googled this site, would you all agree that this information is pretty much accurate?
 
Originally posted by Shinare
Hummm... that doesnt seem to be what I was referring to, unless I'm just being blind :cool:
i could not find the overclockers.com article i was looking for to show you. what i gave you was more just more information on the subject. sorry if it wasnt exactly what you needed to know. :)
 
steppings, in my humble opinion, don't mean jack s**t, since, after all, you could still get a crappy oc from a chip with supposedly amazing steppings
 
Originally posted by kllrnohj
steppings, in my humble opinion, don't mean jack s**t, since, after all, you could still get a crappy oc from a chip with supposedly amazing steppings

So the fact that nearly 100% of CPUs with certain steppings allow amazing overclocks is just random coincidence? We should just buy any old chip, instead of getting one that almost everybody has great overclocking luck with? I think you should take a lesson in statistics, or listen to common sense... ;)
 
Originally posted by zer0signal667
So the fact that nearly 100% of CPUs with certain steppings allow amazing overclocks is just random coincidence? We should just buy any old chip, instead of getting one that almost everybody has great overclocking luck with? I think you should take a lesson in statistics, or listen to common sense... ;)

yeah, but it still isn't a guarantee, like my chip, it doesn't have the great AXDQA steppings or whatever, but i still just went straight to a 200fsb with no instability (mobo can't go any higher, and the chip is locked)
 
Originally posted by kllrnohj
yeah, but it still isn't a guarantee, like my chip, it doesn't have the great AXDQA steppings or whatever, but i still just went straight to a 200fsb with no instability (mobo can't go any higher, and the chip is locked)

then what is it? AXDQA is pretty crappy compared to the new steppings, IQYFA/IQYZA. I thought I was fucked when I saw IQFYA as I was one of the first to get it in a 2500+ but I posted 11x215 at 1.7 volts completly stable
 
Originally posted by kronchev
then what is it? AXDQA is pretty crappy compared to the new steppings, IQYFA/IQYZA. I thought I was fucked when I saw IQFYA as I was one of the first to get it in a 2500+ but I posted 11x215 at 1.7 volts completly stable

I'm happy with my AQXEA0331RPMW
 
Im completly lost on what U guys are talking about... My gut says just stay out of the thread but I would like to know this stuff.

I have AXDA2600DKV3D.....what does that meanas for as OCing and stepping?
 
Originally posted by kronchev
then what is it? AXDQA is pretty crappy compared to the new steppings, IQYFA/IQYZA. I thought I was fucked when I saw IQFYA as I was one of the first to get it in a 2500+ but I posted 11x215 at 1.7 volts completly stable

i didn't write it down, but i know it isn't AXDQA, or AX anything, i think it is AQZEA or something like that
 
OK, my barton 2500+ just came in the mail and it says AQXEA

Is this good or bad?
 
Originally posted by C0)3|24
Im completly lost on what U guys are talking about... My gut says just stay out of the thread but I would like to know this stuff.

I have AXDA2600DKV3D.....what does that meanas for as OCing and stepping?
wrong line.. thats processor identification line. The second line is the important one
 
just let us know your oc, and then i'll tell ya if its good or bad ;)
 
Back
Top