Can someone give me a quick run down on Windows Server and Exchange CALs?

TheBluePill

2[H]4U
Can someone give me a quick run down on Windows Server and Exchange CALs?

I am a bit confused on how the Client Access Licensing works for Windows Server and Exchange.

Say I want to set up an Office with 3 Servers, A PDC, A BDC and an Exchange Server. I have 100 desktops that will be using the PDCs and BDCs for Authentication and file/print. The 3rd Server will be an Exchange Server that will service all 100 desktops.

Lets say each server is a Power Edge 2950 with 2 Sockets.

How many CALs and Why Type of CALs would I need to be legit? What about if I put another Windows Server at another Site to handle File and Print for 20 People and they use the Exchange Server at the main location? How does that change the Dynamic?

Thank you in advance for the help,

Dont hold me to this as I am no licensing guru but it will atleast get you started. As far as I know there are two CAL's for Windows Server, Exchange I have no idea.

Device CAL's - are per computer

User CAL's - are per you guessed it user

Its whichever makes more sense for your place. If you have 100 computers and 50 people then user CAL's make more sense assuming there isn't a huge difference in price. If you have 50 computers and 200 people then the device CAL's would make more sense. I dont know the exact price of CAL's as I have never had to worry about them, we have enterprise licensing. But that is the gist of it as far as I have been told. As far as I know you need to buy for each server also. So 300 device CAL's for 100 devices access 3 servers.

** You should call Microsoft to get confirmation on this, they can explain a LOT better that I can **

You would need 100 CAL's for Windows Server 2003, this covers all three servers on the domain. You would then need 100 CAL's for Exchange as well, if you are using 100 mailboxes. These Exchange CAL's allow you to connect to Exchange and also let you use Outlook 2003 or 2007. Exchange 2007 licensing has changed as well so that you need to use Software Assurance to use Outlook 2007.

So its best to license for each Client vs each server. So in addition to the OS, I would be purchasing one exchange CAL and one Server CAL for each machine.

Back