Can someone explain the difference Intel Core i7-3770 or 3770k?

JHFerry

Weaksauce
I am not sure I understand the difference. I see a lot more people taking the K variant but it looks like it is missing some features so I dont get it. Also, they CPUs have integrated graphics? As in you connect it and do not need a video card?

troll
anyway doesn't "K" mean can be overclocked?
It means that it has an unlocked multiplier, and, since Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge have integrated stuff, base overclocking would not go far.

Without K edition I believe you have a locked multiplier meaning you can go up about 400 mHz at the most but with K you're unlocked meaning you can go up to however high your cooling allows.

you been here for almost 6 years, i dont get it.

And you conclude that he must browse here all the time just because he created his account 6 years ago?

Some people can be so dumb, I don't get it.

"On Ivy Bridge overclocking is done through the CPU Multiplier on a “K” series SKU like the 3770K and 3570K and the multiplier is multiplied by the base clock. When you overclock the base clock you are overclocking the DMI and PCI-E busses as well, so you might damage or corrupt the devices hooked up to these busses such as your HDDs/SSDs and GPUs on the PCI-E bus."
http://www.overclock.net/t/1247413/ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide-with-ln2-guide-at-the-end

The differences between the Intel® Core™ i7-3770 and Intel Core i7-3770K comes down to mainly the unlocked features but there are a couple other differences between them.

The Intel Core i7-3770 has these features that are not on the Intel Core i7-3770K:
-Support for VT-d (Virtulization for Directed I/O)
-Support for TXT (Trusted Execution Technology) a business level virus protection feature.
-Support for use in a V-Pro build (a business level feature)

The Intel Core i7-3770K is unlocked and with a board that supports these feature may be overclocked easily by changing the multiplier for the core clock speed. turbo mode and even the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor) speed.

Ok, I get it now. I have not had to build a PC in some time so I am at it again. When you say the board needs to support the unlocking what do they call that feature? The standard 3770 is locked @ 400mhz, nice.

An "unlocked" board is basically anything with a P67, Z68, or Z77 chipset. These three chipsets allow you to play with the CPU's multiplier, while H67 and the business class boards do not allow this. The maximum multiplier will allow you to overclock up to 5.7 GHz or 6.3 GHz. It's not completely unlocked but in the real world it is basically unlocked.

The IGP is inside of the processor and the video outputs are on the motherboard. The motherboard has to have video outputs in order for you to use the IGP. Ivy Bridge has about 50% faster IGP performance than Sandy Bridge. Both of the IGPs are plenty fast for desktop and video acceleration, but they are no replacement for a discrete GPU if you are a gamer. Only the K series processors have the full IGP, the non-K processors have a cut down IGP with about half of the performance of a K series IGP.

An "unlocked" board is basically anything with a P67, Z68, or Z77 chipset. These three chipsets allow you to play with the CPU's multiplier, while H67 and the business class boards do not allow this. The maximum multiplier will allow you to overclock up to 5.7 GHz or 6.3 GHz. It's not completely unlocked but in the real world it is basically unlocked.

The IGP is inside of the processor and the video outputs are on the motherboard. The motherboard has to have video outputs in order for you to use the IGP. Ivy Bridge has about 50% faster IGP performance than Sandy Bridge. Both of the IGPs are plenty fast for desktop and video acceleration, but they are no replacement for a discrete GPU if you are a gamer. Only the K series processors have the full IGP, the non-K processors have a cut down IGP with about half of the performance of a K series IGP.

Great info. I would be pairing this up with a GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 /32gb DDR3 1600 I do not game on the PC. I have an older EVGA GeForce 8800GS 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 card I was going to use in that rig. Would it be better to use the CPU video or would the card be better?

I will be doing a lot of photoshop.

I've done some light Photoshopping with an HD 5450 and as soon as you do anything the mouse cursor starts lagging. The HD 3000 graphics in the 2500K and the 2600K is about as fast as the HD 5450. So I think you will want something faster than integrated graphics for Photoshop. Since you already have the card, you could keep it and try it out once you build the rig.

Great, I imagine dedicated is less taxing overall anyway. Why dedicate any resourced to video when I have the card anyway right? Thanks.

Actually I am quite fond of integrated graphics for a few simple reasons:

1.) It's enough for desktop and video acceleration (my usage scenario).
2.) It uses very little power.
3.) It doesn't take up any expansion slots on the motherboard.
4.) A single high quality CPU heatsink can handle cooling the CPU and the GPU at the same time.

But if you need the grunt for Photoshop and you use it all the time then you should definitely use a discrete card that gives a smooth experience. What I think you would benefit from is a faster and newer GPU period. Think of it this way:

8800GS: 400 GFLOPS processing power and 64 GB memory bandwidth. Idle power consumption of ~25 watts and load 70 watts.

You can get a newer GPU like the HD 5670 that has the same performance with HALF the power consumption at idle and load for about $50 if you look hard and find a deal. Or something like the HD 7770 which uses even less power at idle (7 watts compared to your current card), consumes a similar amount of power as your current card at load, and has DOUBLE the performance for like $100 after rebate.

It obviously doesn't have to be a Radeon but a newer and more efficient GPU that is cool and quiet will really bring your system into modern times.

Back