Can/should Win2k3 Server be the DHCP server without doing the NAT?

pookguy88

Gawd
Ok, I'm kind of confused by this whole Win2k3 server doing the NAT and DHCP

1) Does Win2k3 need to have 2 NICs if it's only going to do the DHCP and not NAT? (can it even do that?) I know that if Win2k3 does both it will need 2 NICs

2) If Win2k3 does only the DHCP, I still use a router, correct?

3) Should Win2k3 be doing both? (for say a 25-50 workstation office)?

DHCP and NAT are totally unrelated to each other.

DHCP is what hands out IP addresses on your LAN.

NAT allows IPs on a private LAN to appear as a single public IP to the outside world. It also has other uses, but that describes it's major use for simple networks.

Generally the NAT is done in the same place that your firewall is running. If you are using ISA on 2003, then the NAT is done there usually and that does require two NICs (one each for outside and inside). In that case the server is doing the function of the router/firewall and you would not need a separate box. I like to use a dedicated router/firewall though and keep those functions off of the server.

You'll hear opinions each way about where to do DHCP. I usually put DHCP on the router/firewall, but there are sometimes reasons to put it on the server. You do not need two NICS just to do DHCP.

Yes, if you put DHCP on the server, you still certainly need a router/firewall.

It's usually pretty easy to do DHCP on the router and then just make sure you setup DNS properly on the server. If you are running a domain, you MUST do the DNS on the server. In DHCP setup on the router, make your local domain controller (the server) the primary DNS with the ISP DNS as the secondary. That ensures you will always have DNS available.

Yes DHCP can run without doing nat or hell even dns. You can point the gateway, dns, servers, etc to whatever you want in the dchp config.

Personaly I would have the server handle dns and dhcp and have a router as the gateway out.

so, for example, if I want to use a router as my NAT (say 192.168.1.1 is the router IP), I would just point to that as my gateway on my Win2k3 Server that's doing the DHCP?

You want your server running DHCP if it's your domain controller...active directory runs better with your server knowing about the clients.

How about NAT? is it recommended to have my server being the NAT too to run AD better?

No that doesn't really matter. Just have the server do dns and dhcp. I would run nat through a router instead of the windows server.

How so?

I've never had any AD problem at all running DHCP on the router.

It is not necessarily that AD runs better, its more along the lines that network name resolution will remain constantly and consistantly updated for all network devices.

If you run DHCP on the router, then AD DNS knows nothing about the IP addresses used unless the specific device registers its information with DNS.

Windows DHCP can update DNS entries on the behalf of all workstations and network devices on the server whether or not the individual network device is setup to register its information with DNS . When devices update their DHCP addresses, again, Windows DHCP can update DNS records immediately.

It is not necessarily that AD runs better, its more along the lines that network name resolution will remain constantly and consistantly updated for all network devices.

If you run DHCP on the router, then AD DNS knows nothing about the IP addresses used unless the specific device registers its information with DNS.

Windows DHCP can update DNS entries on the behalf of all workstations and network devices on the server whether or not the individual network device is setup to register its information with DNS . When devices update their DHCP addresses, again, Windows DHCP can update DNS records immediately.
so is DHCP better on server or router?

so is DHCP better on server or router?

You can use DHCP from the router or from Windows. There isn't a right or wrong answer here, simply one based on preference and network requirements

If given the option and AD is being used, we always utilize Windows DHCP. We have never run into an instance where there was any tangible advantage of not using Windows DHCP.

You can use DHCP from the router or from Windows. There isn't a right or wrong answer here, simply one based on preference and network requirements

If given the option and AD is being used, we always utilize Windows DHCP. We have never run into an instance where there was any tangible advantage of not using Windows DHCP.

Yea I have to agree with SJ here. It comes down to preference but I also prefer to run it off a windows server. Rather keep it all together if possbile.

Back