Can ram go bad?

webbed

Weaksauce
I'm planning on building a new computer when the prices on the Intel processors drop but thats not for another month. The ram I'm planning on getting has a rebate that ends before that. If I order the ram now nothings going to happen to it from now until I put the computer together right?

I've had ram sitting for years before being used new and it worked fine :)

Just take care to store it in a dry place without any ESD material like carpet or clothes around (don't shove it in the clothes drawer).

Same here; I have had RAM that I used for a while sitting in its packaging for over 3 years and it works just fine when I test with it. Static is your worst enemy, so always ground your self on a metal object like the inside if your case or use a wrist strap when handling it.

Thanks for the info. Too bad they're out of stock now :( I guess I gotta wait for another deal to pop up or see if they come back in before the rebate expires.

Thanks for the info. Too bad they're out of stock now :( I guess I gotta wait for another deal to pop up or see if they come back in before the rebate expires.

Check mwave.com they have same Crucial in stock.
Ram prices won't get any better than they are now.

Have there been any rumors of the prices going up soon? Should I buy the best deal I can find right now or are the prices going to stay where they are now?

Prices have been going up a bit on the GSkill HZ. I got them at 160. Last week they bottomed out around 104. They are now 120. Articles in the Spring said there was an over supply and memory was selling below cost in some cases. It was predicted costs would go up in late May or June, and that then prices would go high as memory makers tried to make their money back. Now is probably a good time to buy - with the exception of DDR3 I would guess.

Yes, RAM can go bad.

If I order the ram now nothings going to happen to it from now until I put the computer together right?

While many people say that solid state devices `never' break, I am under the impression that there have been very few long-term studies on this. However, my best guess would be that if stored correctly, the RAM should be fine for a couple of decades.

Yes, RAM can go bad.

While many people say that solid state devices `never' break, I am under the impression that there have been very few long-term studies on this. However, my best guess would be that if stored correctly, the RAM should be fine for a couple of decades.

In a couple of decades, it would only be good for the museum :rolleyes:

I've had ram sitting for years before being used new and it worked fine :)

Just take care to store it in a dry place without any ESD material like carpet or clothes around (don't shove it in the clothes drawer).

QFT

As long as it's stored correctly it will never go bad.

Unless you take into consideration tin whiskering. I'm assuming memory is just as vulnerable as anything else with lead free solder.

OK but then you're talking about being outside it's effective 'life'. In otherwords when it's exceeded its true useability.

If packaging or SMT defects are taken into account (they really should be) then it's quite possible that the memory can go bad on it's own. Tin whiskers are a well known failure mode and there's quite a few others. Humidity is another killer. Having said that, we're talking about parts per million - not imminent death for your two sticks. You'd be equally likely to win the lottery as have memory sticks go bad in storage - but hey, it COULD happen.

FWIW, it'll take a few months (there's roughly a 60-90 day fab cycle for DRAM) before anything significant can change in the memory market. The big boys can't stop the wafers they've started, and that will keep prices low. Plus, there isn't anything profitable they can shift production into which would mean mothballing their fabs which probably ain't gonna happen. Both Flash and DRAM are tanking...which is sort of a bad thing. I'd bet we'll see more consolidations before the end of the year.

What's all this mean? Buy the sticks if you want, but if you wait it *probably* won't be a lot more expensive and there might be new technology available at the same price by then. <shrug>

Back