Can PS3 play bluray HD over component?

exe163

[H]ard|Gawd
Just wondering, I don't have a HDMI rdy TV, even though I got 300 on bluray, but I couldn't tell weather it plays at 1080i/720p, OR upscale from dvd 480p.

If it does there is no more reason to buy/rent a movie in dvd anymore ;) (unless no bluray version).

Just wondering, I don't have a HDMI rdy TV, even though I got 300 on bluray, but I couldn't tell weather it plays at 1080i/720p, OR upscale from dvd 480p.

If it does there is no more reason to buy/rent a movie in dvd anymore ;) (unless no bluray version).

It can do 1080i/720P over component, just no 1080P.

Yes it can, you can play up to 1080i on component. The PS3 will upscale DVDs too.

And upscaled DVD's are pretty darn good too. The thing is a workhorse. Granted, I'm viewing only on a 22" widescreen LCD monitor, but I can tell the difference between a normal DVD player and the PS3 doing the upscaling on it.

The ps3 will not do 1080p over component, nor will it upscale dvds over component.

This isn't because the cable cant handle it. It is DRM. The PS3 requires an HDCP TV and connection (HDMI) to perform those functions, otherwise the ps3 software just wont do it.

Its nothing to do with the cable, the PS3 just won't do 1080P over component via a/v-multi-out. Regardless, any 1080P set should have at least one HDMI port these days.

Yeah, I think all 1080p TV's have HDMI. The only exceptions would be a PC monitor, and 99% of the ones that can do 1920x1080x60 will have DVI.
If you have a 1080p television and a PS3, there's no reason not to have it hooked up via HDMI. No other device (except maybe a stand alone HD-DVD player) will take advantage of HDMI like the PS3 will. For everything else, it's just an easy way to get sound/audio from one cable. The PS3 virtually needs it.

Its nothing to do with the cable, the PS3 just won't do 1080P over component via a/v-multi-out. Regardless, any 1080P set should have at least one HDMI port these days.

I'm pretty sure it does. Claims it on the box and I heard of people using it.

I was under the impression that for movies, DRM keeps 1080p in check unless you're using HDMI. Games might be able to do it, but I don't think movies can.
Still, for movies I doubt you'll see much difference between 1080p and 1080i.

1080i shouldn't flicker in movies. They're running at 24 frames per second in most cases. It should look pretty much identical unless your TV's got issues with certain framerates.

Component is not HDCP capable. You need HDMI connection in order to output 1080p from Blu-Ray movies.

So am i correct in thinking even the though my sammy 4042h HDTV will only do 1080i when i get my ps3 at the end of the month if i use HDMI all my content from my PS3 will be at 1080i, Games, DVD;s, Blue-Ray?

If i may ask another question, i just bought this tv, well over a month ago it was in my budget, but would i seen any benifit in going and buying a 40" 1080p tv?????

Thnx

The vast majority of PS3 gaming content is 720p. There are a few 1080p games like Ninja Gaiden, Tekken, Warhawk, etc. but MOST are 720p. For movies, they run at 24 fps...so you'll notice no major difference between a 1080i and 1080p.

Back