Can PS3 do MSAA without the use of Quincunx?

Just curious because I have been reading up on some PS3 games that use what is referred to as MSAA Quincunx. Does this mean that MSAA is used in addition to Quincunx or is it just a longer special name for the PS3's version of Xbox's AA? It doesn't make sense to me that they would use Quincunx in addition to MSAA because I thought Quincunx would blurs the game.

I am no expert so take this how you will. It was my understanding that quincunx just referred to the 5 point pattern pixel filter that is being used. Quincunx is a old word, not something new. And by Xbox's AA, I hope you aren't confusing MSAA with Microsoft AA, as it is not. Its multisample.

So afaik Quincunx AA is just 2x anti-aliasing using the 5point blur filter instead of the standard methods. Quincunx does blur things, but from the comparison screenies I have seen it's not that big of a deal, at least to me, as neither console looks that great compared to PC anyway. I don't think I would notice the slightly blurred edges/lower looking textures, especially when it makes more of the jaggies go away. Less jaggies but a bit less sharpness is all I see. No big deal, imo.

Ok I'm a noob when it comes to graphics. I just stumbled upon the term Quincunx on Eurogamer when looking at PS3/ 360 comparisons for Midnight Club LA and just had no idea how both consoles compared to each other when it comes to teh jaggies.

I didn't get to compare similar titles, but my 360 looks pretty crappy on a large lcd as far as jaggies were concerned and my buddies ps3 didn't really seem to do too much better either. Then again, as I mentioned, I mostly use the PC and only occasionally the consoles so their jaggies stand out to me no matter which console.

Both consoles seem pretty much the same to me, so if you are looking to buy one or the other, I would just go with whatever the majority of your friends have. That way you can play together. Playing together trumps any minor graphical difference, at least imo.

Yeah, if you're sensitive to jaggies, you'll notice it a lot on consoles connected to large TVs. Those don't really bother me except at SD resolutions.

Quincunx is a cheap(er) AA method (as far as resources go) and it's always looked kind of ugly to me, even on nvidia's PC video cards. It offers the same memory usage and performance as 2x1 AA with "better" results.

I didn't get to compare similar titles, but my 360 looks pretty crappy on a large lcd as far as jaggies were concerned and my buddies ps3 didn't really seem to do too much better either. Then again, as I mentioned, I mostly use the PC and only occasionally the consoles so their jaggies stand out to me no matter which console.

Both consoles seem pretty much the same to me, so if you are looking to buy one or the other, I would just go with whatever the majority of your friends have. That way you can play together. Playing together trumps any minor graphical difference, at least imo.

The Jaggies shouldn't be that noticable on a large set unless you are sitting too close, or have the sharpness high(on a scale of 0-100, it should be set at 10-20 on most sets, if not less to keepthe TV from adding stuff it shouldn't be).

PS3 can do regular X2 MSAA. Many games seem to use X2 quincunx, probably to save performance. I forget the details, but in some cases X2 QAA can look as good as X4 MSAA. In other scenes, it can be worse than normal X2 MSAA. If you're a 3d geek, google can provide an exact technical explanation.

Back