Can ping router, can't ping nodes?

sdotbrucato

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently, I'm running a small business network, with Windows Simple File Sharing.

I hace three computers connected to the network

Front PC- Windows XP Pro SP2 - 192.168.1.1
2nd Front PC- Windows XP Home - SP2 192.168.1.13
Back PC- Windows XP Pro SP2 - 192.168.1.12
Router- Netopia 3347WG - 192.168.1.254
Wireless Printer- HP 7410 - 192.168.1.11

I had these computers connected and sharing for about a month, and then today, it seems everything just went down. I can connect to the internet from all three nodes, I can ping the router, I can ping the wireless printer, but I can't ping the other nodes.

I tried making a new simple network, tried renaming the nodes, tried resettting the router, tried using another router. Nothing prevailed. I just lost a day of data entry because of this. If anyone could help it would be great.

Thanks in advance,
--Steven Brucato

well it may be possible your front PC is stealing the IP address of your router...
192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 is often the router's ip address.

unless that is a mistype and the PC is supposed to be 192.168.1.11

try shuting off the windows firewall?
control panel > Windows Firewall

When I first encountered the issue, I turned off the firewalls on all three systems.

/leftfield theory

Certain code loads (the most recent ones) of the netopia 3347NWG comes preconfigured with a different VLAN for wireless and wired connections. If you did a factory reset (or one happened by fluke) this could be why you're not able to access certain nodes from certain other nodes(trying to talk to a laptop conected via wireless from your desktop that's hard wired for example). Try removing both the VLANs or adding both interface groups into one VLAN.

192.168.1.254>expert mode>yes>configure>advanced>vlan

you'll probably have 3 there, one named wired one named wireless and one named management. If you have no need for the VLANs edit the wired&wireless ones, and remove all the interfaces. Or you could put both the ethernet and wireless interfaces into a single VLAN to accomplish basically the same thing.

I actually don't have ANY VLANs setup, should I create one and throw everything into it?

Also my issue isnt the PCs talking to the wireless, my issue is the PCs talking to one another, which would mean all the "Wired" VLAN setup, right?

Tried to reset everything,I reset the router, released all IPs and set everything up. The Front PC is still like no where to be found.

Front Computer IP---------192.168.1.1
Front Office IP---------------192.168.1.13
Back Office IP---------------192.168.1.14
Router---------------------------192.168.1.254

Front Computer can ping the following IPs.....192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.14 - 192.168.1.254
Front Computer cannot ping the following IPs.192.168.1.13

Front Office can ping the following IPs...........192.168.1.13 - 192.168.1.14 - 195.168.1.254
Front Office cannot ping the following IPs.......192.168.1.1

Back Office can ping the following IPs............192.168.1.14 - 192.168.1.254
Back Office cannot ping the following IPs........192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.13

d3c1us said:
I actually don't have ANY VLANs setup, should I create one and throw everything into it?

Also my issue isnt the PCs talking to the wireless, my issue is the PCs talking to one another, which would mean all the "Wired" VLAN setup, right?

if nothing is VLANed then they should all be talking to each other, so no need to set one up.

what do the trace routes look like to 192.168.1.1 from the other PCs?

Are you using SIP or DHCP? If SIP, are all the subnets identical(255.255.255.0)?

If you swap the ports for 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.13 is your ping layout identical? I'm wondering if the port 192.168.1.1 is plugged into is faulty. (another stab in the dark)

I tried to swap around the ports on the wireless router, I also tried to use my D-Link DI-604, and I had the same issue, so I really don't think its the router. Which is why Im getting irritated.

Both routers use DHCP for assigning IPs. What marks me as weird, is that the front PC has an IP of 192.168.1.1 and the rest follow the order of 192.168.1.(11.13.14)

d3c1us said:
I tried to swap around the ports on the wireless router, I also tried to use my D-Link DI-604, and I had the same issue, so I really don't think its the router. Which is why Im getting irritated.

Both routers use DHCP for assigning IPs. What marks me as weird, is that the front PC has an IP of 192.168.1.1 and the rest follow the order of 192.168.1.(11.13.14)

Look at my above post ^^^^^^^^^^^

Goto the prop of your network connection and see if its set to DHCP or it has a static IP in there, only thing that could fit with this problem

Sorry for the silly question, but how would I go about checking to see if its DHCP or Static? :cool:

d3c1us said:
Sorry for the silly question, but how would I go about checking to see if its DHCP or Static? :cool:

goto Start -> Control Panel -> Network Conections -> Right Click Local Area Network -> Goto Properties. -> TCP/IP -> Than Click Properties

yes, what you want
in the network connections, right-click local area and goto status than suport,
what does it say in there

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254

than its gotta be a setting in the router, a default route maybe... not really sure

I tried to use my D-Link router, set up as

Front PC- Windows XP Pro SP2 - 192.168.0.100
Front Office- Windows XP Home - SP2 192.168.0.102
Back PC- Windows XP Pro SP2 - 192.168.0.101

And pinging all three from each node gives me....192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.101

Front Computer can ping the following IPs.....192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.101
Front Computer cannot ping the following IPs.192.168.0.102

Front Office can ping the following IPs...........192.168.0.101 - 192.168.0.102
Front Office cannot ping the following IPs.......192.168.0.100

Back Office can ping the following IPs............192.168.0.101
Back Office cannot ping the following IPs........192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.102

Which is the same as with the Netopia router....

I simpled everything out, now I only have the two front PCs connect to the D-link router, which I just reset.

Front 1- 192.168.0.100
Front 2- 192.168.0.102

I cant ping Front 1 from Front 2
I cant ping Front 2 from Front 1

d3c1us said:
I simpled everything out, now I only have the two front PCs connect to the D-link router, which I just reset.

Front 1- 192.168.0.100
Front 2- 192.168.0.102

I cant ping Front 1 from Front 2
I cant ping Front 2 from Front 1

do eather of them have software firewalls? or windows firewall blocking file sharing

do a traecrt to each other

I have Windows Firewall disabled on all the PCs. I did that when I first encountered the problems, and since I have a built in firewall in the router, I do not have software firewalls.

I tried to trace the routers, and "Request Timed Out" on both machines >.<

d3c1us said:
I have Windows Firewall disabled on all the PCs. I did that when I first encountered the problems, and since I have a built in firewall in the router, I do not have software firewalls.

I tried to trace the routers, and "Request Timed Out" on both machines >.<

umm... this is really odd... i am not really sure
i have to think on it... unless someone else has a idea
by chance you run the network wizard setup on both machines?
if not, do it and make sure to use same workgroup

Yeah I ran the Network Wizard on the machines, repeatedly, lol. They're all on the same workgroup "Boates Office"

By looking at your list of Certs II'm a little relieved to know that it wasnt something "simple" thank you for your help, and hopefully you'll come to a conclusion =D

--Steven

d3c1us said:
Yeah I ran the Network Wizard on the machines, repeatedly, lol. They're all on the same workgroup "Boates Office"

By looking at your list of Certs II'm a little relieved to know that it wasnt something "simple" thank you for your help, and hopefully you'll come to a conclusion =D

--Steven

Yeah all the simple stuff i had you try
umm... you try a winsock fix?
google winsock fix and download/run it

Okay I downloaded and ran the Winsock Fix on both PCs all that really did for me was make

Front PC1 192.168.0.101
Front PC2 192.168.0.100

Still cant ping one another, and when trying to trace the route, it times out...

d3c1us said:
Okay I downloaded and ran the Winsock Fix on both PCs all that really did for me was make

Front PC1 192.168.0.101
Front PC2 192.168.0.100

Still cant ping one another, and when trying to trace the route, it times out...

did both pc's restart after the winsock fix?
what ports on the router ya got them pluged into?

Dude that looks so much like a firewall problem. I had this problem a few days ago here at my office and it was Norton Antivirus, which has a firewall. The weird thing is that you know that is not the router because you tried another one, that would have been my first guess. Some routers have an option on the config to disable file sharing, be sure to uncheck that.

Yeah both PCs restarted, I have them plugged into the 1 and 2 spots on the D-Link

I do have Nortons installed, but its not running, and also, I had all three of these PCs setup and networked previously....

d3c1us said:

--Steven

dont forget the MBA ;)

I think you have LAN Ping disabled in the router. Look for that and enable it. My Dlink router has this. Try that and then report back.

Jon855 said:
I think you have LAN Ping disabled in the router. Look for that and enable it. My Dlink router has this. Try that and then report back.
see did not know that about d-link's never owned one :p

But even if LAN Ping were disabled, would I not be able to connect to the other computer VIA Microsoft Simple File Sharing?

And I cannot find this LAN Ping setting on my router, any tips on where it may be?

And also at one time I had all three computers hooked up, and I could ping to some and not to others, from each PC....

hmm ok, lets try checking the hosts file for anything suspicious.

on the two PCs that cannot comunicate:
goto C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc (if windows is installed on C, that is)

open up the hosts file in notepad and paste everything in the file into a code box for us.

Also, I'd like to see your routing table on those 2 PCs as well. Open up a command window and type in "route print" and hit enter. Right click on the window and click select all, then hit enter. You can then paste the contents into a code box for us.

I would also recomend full spyware/virus scans to check for anything nefarius that may be firewalling. (just in case you haven't tried that yet)

Back