Can Pentium 4 replace Celeron?

pgwalsh

Gawd
It may sound like a silly question, but I could used the help.

A friend gave me a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz/512k/533 processor and I wanted to put it in my girlfriends laptop which has a 2.8Ghz celeron. They are both socket 478. The pentium 4 came from an HP laptop. She has a Toshiba Satellite A65-S126 (PSA60U-02K015. I've heard that there's the same amout of heat etc from the processors, but I didn't want to kill her computer. I also harvested the DVD-RW drive and 80GB hard drive. So she'll at least get a few upgrades if not the processor.

Thanks

Peter :D

It should work. Just pay attention to the temperatures. I'd run Prime95 on it to see if it overheats and shuts down.

It should work. Just pay attention to the temperatures. I'd run Prime95 on it to see if it overheats and shuts down.
Thanks for the advice. Can Prime95 be run from a CDROM? She's running Ubuntu. She would have stuck with Windows, but it was super slow. Apparently there's a problem with the built in memory.

Hmm... a P4M against a celeron... D or M? The M will slaughter the P4, but if it's a D against the P4M, the P4 will probably be slightly faster, but only by a slight marginal amount. btw, it's socket 479, atleast.. it is if your g/f's laptop has a Celeron M. It's got the same amount of pins, but intel reconfigured some of the pin assignments.

There are no Celeron M's at 2.8ghz.

You can use the linux build of prime95.

All the info I have is Celeron(r) CPU 2.8Ghz
family, model, stepping 15,2,9
Cache Size 128kb

I didn't find anyting regarding Pentium M.

I was surprised how slow her latop is considering it has a 2.8Ghz processor. I though thee P4 would give some boost.

If the laptop's BIOS supports the P4 microcode, it'll be well worth the upgrade. A P4 2.0 will outrun a Celeron 2.8.

Yes, you should monitor the new temperatures. It sounds like you've got a desktop P4 chip, not a P4-Mobile, so it won't have many power-saving options.

If the laptop's BIOS supports the P4 microcode, it'll be well worth the upgrade. A P4 2.0 will outrun a Celeron 2.8.

Yes, you should monitor the new temperatures. It sounds like you've got a desktop P4 chip, not a P4-Mobile, so it won't have many power-saving options.
It came from an HP latop, but it was one of those big ones. A desktop replacement type. I'll monitor it for sure. :D

How will I know if the BIOS support microcode?

I updated the bios a while ago and I just went to Toshiba's website to see if mentions anything about microcode. I found the following.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...ineID=ccceaddkefiljgmcgfkceghdgngdgmn.0&ct=DL

and
Update Prescott E0 CPU F41H microcode to 12.
Update Prescott D0 CPU F34H microcode to 14
Added Intel P4 processor (Prescott) D0 M1DF3413 microcode.
Added Intel P4 processor (Northwood) D1 M08F292F microcode.
Added Intel P4 processor (Prescott) E0 MBDF4109 microcode.

Very likely to support it. The only way to know for sure is to plug it in. If it works, great! If not, the screen won't turn on- no damage, no risk.

Very likely to support it. The only way to know for sure is to plug it in. If it works, great! If not, the screen won't turn on- no damage, no risk.
Thanks everyone for your help. It works well. I noticed a nice gain in speed and the temperature seems fine so far. I used Antec Forumla 5, not sure if it's good or not. I'll be replacing the hard drive which is 60gb 4200RPM with a spare one that's 80gb and 5400RPM.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help. :D

Back