can paid 32bit key work on a 64bit rtm downloaded copy?

JVC

[H]ard|Gawd
i have a genuine paid vista 32bit ultimate, key. and i also have a 64bit rtm copy, will the key from the 32bit edition work on the 64bit edition rtm download copy i have? (i haven't tried yet)

Technically yes, but but but... since you neglected to say where you acquired the RTM build of Vista x64, well... it's bordering on a legal question at this point.

More like you can see the border, given that MS will tell you you bought a license to use the software, not the media it is pressed to or the actual files.

-bZj

Technically yes, but but but... since you neglected to say where you acquired the RTM build of Vista x64, well... it's bordering on a legal question at this point.

Not really. The software isn't what your paying for, your paying for the key/license. So as long as he uses a legal key, its all legal. The only problem is if he downloads a pre-cracked DVD, which still isn't a problem, he just might have some files that may have been tampered with, which could have undesirable effects.

I carry around with me one of those Windows XP 9 in 1 CDs when I fix computers, simply because I fix a lot of people's computers who either don't have disks or left them back home or something. I just use the key thats on the sticker on the computer.

So you broke the EULA of all the editions of Windows you have on that DVD to do your job - it's against the EULA to modify the code of any Windows distribution media to create such discs.

Also, if you don't have the hologram CD to use for installing, or you're not using a backup disc made directly from the hologram CD the customer should have or the manufacturer provided media, then yes it is most certainly illegal.

The sticker isn't the end-all-be-all factor in this; it's tied to the hologram media.

Talk about a hack job... methinks this thread is gonna have a short shelf-life...

Also, if you don't have the hologram CD to use for installing, or you're not using a backup disc made directly from the hologram CD the customer should have or the manufacturer provided media, then yes it is most certainly illegal.

I don't believe this is correct. Where did you get this information?

The whole idea of a software license being a legal document springs from the fact that software is not legally considered a physical commodity. The media can be freely distributed.

When I worked for the college Microsoft used to send us (obviously) burned media copies of dozens of their products they licensed thru MSDN Alliance in large CD notebooks..and the school's method of distributing the media was to allow students to bring in blank media and burn copies from ISO files on lab PCs made from those discs.

i have a genuine paid vista 32bit ultimate, key. and i also have a 64bit rtm copy, will the key from the 32bit edition work on the 64bit edition rtm download copy i have? (i haven't tried yet)

I had the RTM and then I got my disc from the PowerTogether deal. I ended up using the key and installing x64 Business from the RTM disc. Its legal to do it since the 32 bit key works for the 64 bit version. Obviously not legal to have the RTM if you got it thru bittorrent or some shit. But I went and ordered my x64 disc anyway.

I had the RTM and then I got my disc from the PowerTogether deal. I ended up using the key and installing x64 Business from the RTM disc. Its legal to do it since the 32 bit key works for the 64 bit version. Obviously not legal to have the RTM if you got it thru bittorrent or some shit. But I went and ordered my x64 disc anyway.
I didn't feel like waiting for the x64 DVD so I downloaded it at work. I probably will order the x64 disc just to have a "genuine" copy. I don't mind the small cost since the Power Together deal cost me nothing. :D

I didn't feel like waiting for the x64 DVD so I downloaded it at work. I probably will order the x64 disc just to have a "genuine" copy. I don't mind the small cost since the Power Together deal cost me nothing. :D

yeah...paying $10 for an OS is awesome haha

So you broke the EULA of all the editions of Windows you have on that DVD to do your job - it's against the EULA to modify the code of any Windows distribution media to create such discs.

The sticker isn't the end-all-be-all factor in this; it's tied to the hologram media.

Talk about a hack job... methinks this thread is gonna have a short shelf-life...

When I say I fix a lot of people's computers, its mostly college students, friends, and relatives. They couldn't give two craps if I broke some EULA they don't even understand.They don't have time to wait 2-4 weeks and pay $30-40 for Dell, Gateway, etc to send them CDs. They need their computers now, for school, work, etc.

And your CD statement is false. The 9 in 1 CDs simply create a ISO for that version. There are not many differences between the XP versions except a few files. So those files are in seperate folders, then when you make an ISO for that version, it compiles the files specific for that version with the base files that all versions have. Again, no code was modified. Files were simply moved around, and an installer was made to recombine the files to follow the XP CD structure.

If every company enforced the EULA, 75% of the country would be prosecuted. Ever use one of those XP to Vista skin mods? Pretty sure those modified some system files, which is probably in violation of the EULA. Just one example of many I could make.

Back