can Nvidia/Intel compete with the SPIDER?

POPEGOLD

[H]ard|Gawd
I was looking at AMD's Spider Platform

you can put 4 radeon 2950's and a Phenom X4 for a price that is not astronomical.

I was wondering can nvidia and intel compete with this over all?

who will need to buy 4 2950s.... if its as good as their crossfire drivers then...well...

you can put 4 radeon 2950's and a Phenom X4 for a price that is not astronomical.

Your power bill WILL be astronomical though :)

Anyway, NVIDIA has Quad-SLI for quite a while now. And it only requires a SLI capable motherboard. But it's a niche market. What AMD/ATI are trying to do, is just more of the same, with a different name.

Your power bill WILL be astronomical though :)

Anyway, NVIDIA has Quad-SLI for quite a while now. And it only requires a SLI capable motherboard. But it's a niche market. What AMD/ATI are trying to do, is just more of the same, with a different name.

i didnt know nvidia had Quad Sli working for a while? Is this is VISTA or XP?

I would like to see the new Quadfather (SPIDER)
matched against this QUAD SLI that Nvidia has had working for a while

Spider will do as well as 4x4/Quadfather. :p

Is not about doing well with it...its about perception. You know AMD is going ru nthe performance of the Quadfather Spider up the flagpole.

If SLI cant beat crossfire....and INTEL chips cant do crossfire....then AMD could have the fastest gaming platform.

Like Ferrari doesnt sell alot of cars...but people who only want the best...will buy one ...and the title THE BEST would fall to AMD in this scenario...

SLI-ed 7950GX2 is technically quad SLI.

It has. But drivers were always the problem, just like they will be with AMD's Quad Solution. Again, this is a niche market, that only the hardcore enthusiasts, with loads of money, can think of having.

Is not about doing well with it...its about perception. You know AMD is going ru nthe performance of the Quadfather Spider up the flagpole.

If SLI cant beat crossfire....and INTEL chips cant do crossfire....then AMD could have the fastest gaming platform.

Like Ferrari doesnt sell alot of cars...but people who only want the best...will buy one ...and the title THE BEST would fall to AMD in this scenario...

It will all depends on whether or not they develop the drivers properly. The Quad SLI drivers were *so* bad, you only got a tiny bit of performance relative to the cost of the setup.

If they minimize the overhead of Quad CF, where you actually get an extra 50-75% per card, then yes, I could see people who need the absolute top end, purchasing it.

I'm asumming the drivers *will* stay sucky though, simply because there will be little to no money gotten in a Quad SLI setup. If less than 1% of the world currently runs SLI (less use CF), and only 1% of those people use Quad SLI (and furthe less running CF), AMDATI's money would be better spent elsewhere.

I know its not a PC, but the mac pro can run two quad core processors and 4x Geforce 7300

so technically, yes, quad SLI is possible...and 8 cores...and a max of 16GB ram.....for a meer $10k

I thought AMD's next dual socket / 4 pcie x16 slots was called FASN8, which got killed off.

I love it how all these SLi problems in vista turn out to be microsofts fault for some sort of problem which they HAD to fix before nvidia could do anything, but people are still bitching at nvidia for it.

Nvidia has already done quad SLi, just two extra pciE slots required were already on the 7900/7950 gx2 pcb.

There are two problems here:
1) AMD's current GPUs aren't very fast.
2) Diminishing returns.

It could very well be that 4 2900XTs are still slower than 2 8800Ultra's (just like a single 8800 is faster than two 7900s in SLI).

By the way, who said Intel can't do crossfire? There are many socket 775 boards with official crossfire support, including boards with Intel chipsets such as my own Asus P5B Deluxe.
Intel can't do SLI (officially), because of licensing issues. nVidia simply doesn't support SLI in their drivers for any chipset other than their own. With older drivers there was a hack that enabled SLI on the Intel 975 chipset.
But AMD has no such policy. Basically crossfire works as long as you have two AMD videocards and two PCI-e 16x slots (don't even need to be running at 16x, in my case one of them is at 4x).

I thought AMD's next dual socket / 4 pcie x16 slots was called FASN8, which got killed off.

I love it how all these SLi problems in vista turn out to be microsofts fault for some sort of problem which they HAD to fix before nvidia could do anything, but people are still bitching at nvidia for it.

Nvidia has already done quad SLi, just two extra pciE slots required were already on the 7900/7950 gx2 pcb.

MSI Has already shown it 790FX quad pcie x12 2,0 socket motherboard so fasn8 lives.

There are two problems here:
1) AMD's current GPUs aren't very fast.
2) Diminishing returns.

It could very well be that 4 2900XTs are still slower than 2 8800Ultra's (just like a single 8800 is faster than two 7900s in SLI).

By the way, who said Intel can't do crossfire? There are many socket 775 boards with official crossfire support, including boards with Intel chipsets such as my own Asus P5B Deluxe.
Intel can't do SLI (officially), because of licensing issues. nVidia simply doesn't support SLI in their drivers for any chipset other than their own. With older drivers there was a hack that enabled SLI on the Intel 975 chipset.
But AMD has no such policy. Basically crossfire works as long as you have two AMD videocards and two PCI-e 16x slots (don't even need to be running at 16x, in my case one of them is at 4x).

AMD may change that policy

First off...SLI/Crossfire itself will never be mainstream. It's simply too expensive.

Second, how many people do you think are going to be able to afford this quad video card crap if they can't afford dual video cards?

This platform is for visual junkies and the science community for the most part.

DISCLAIMER: I am bored as hell

AMD CEO 1 talking to CEO 2.

1: Our cards just cant compete were being slaughtered on the market. What do we do?

2: I have an idea!!

2: What if we make a chipset that can run 4 of them? Then with 4 we could compete with Nvidia!

Fast forward to release day...

1: What are the sales numbers like?

2: Bad, we sold 1 motherboard and 4 cards. The guy that bought them has been on hardforum all day trying to get it to work.

12 hours later...

2: Success! he got it working with some super leaked beta drivers! But now hes saying the power draw is astronomical and the performance is less than 2 of Nvidias parts :( On top of that none of his games support it and they keep crashing.

1: Shit we didnt plan for this! The architecture of a weak card is still weak even X4. Hurry up and spread the rumor that magical performance gains will be unlocked with future drivers at least that will keep some fanbois on our side!!

The End

DISCLAIMER: I am bored as hell

AMD CEO 1 talking to CEO 2.

1: Our cards just cant compete were being slaughtered on the market. What do we do?

2: I have an idea!!

2: What if we make a chipset that can run 4 of them? Then with 4 we could compete with Nvidia!

Fast forward to release day...

1: What are the sales numbers like?

2: Bad, we sold 1 motherboard and 4 cards. The guy that bought them has been on hardforum all day trying to get it to work.

12 hours later...

2: Success! he got it working with some super leaked beta drivers! But now hes saying the power draw is astronomical and the performance is less than 2 of Nvidias parts :( On top of that none of his games support it and they keep crashing.

1: Shit we didnt plan for this! The architecture of a weak card is still weak even X4. Hurry up and spread the rumor that magical performance gains will be unlocked with future drivers at least that will keep some fanbois on our side!!

The End

you sound like an INTELINVIDIOT

All the new X38 boards will do crossfire but not SLI. I talked to a guy from Asus earlier this week and he said don't even bother trying to get SLI working on a non-nvidia motherboard.

Nvidia wants a kickback for doing the driver/SLI development. They don't want to do it for free for non-NV chipsets. Which to me seems retarded. They have a hard enough time getting people to buy into the SLI concept, throwing up more barriers to entry just pisses people off. The new Maximus board from Asus was just what I was looking for but no-SLI is a deal breaker.

AMD may change that policy

I doubt it.
Intel systems outsell AMD ones by about 5:1 (AMD makes no Intel chipsets anymore).
And even the AMD systems mostly have third party chipsets instead of AMD's own.

It wouldn't be a smart move for AMD to limit certain features to their products only, since it cuts out a lot of potential customers.
I wouldn't be surprised if there are far more crossfire users with no AMD CPU and/or chipset than with.
And it certainly wouldn't be a smart move to drop support for that current userbase.

For nVidia it's slightly different. On the AMD side they've always been the primary choice for high-performance chipsets anyway. And on the Intel side they're probably doing pretty good aswell. Their chipsets are excellent alternatives for Intel's enthusiast chipsets anyway.

For nVidia it's slightly different. On the AMD side they've always been the primary choice for high-performance chipsets anyway. And on the Intel side they're probably doing pretty good aswell. Their chipsets are excellent alternatives for Intel's enthusiast chipsets anyway.

Nvidia for both AMD and intel have competitive if not superior chipsets, so their really is no reason release SLi to intel, and their is no reasonable senerio in which they can give it to intel w/o being hurt by it, thats why they want the licensing for it.

you sound like an INTELINVIDIOT

Yes considering im running my first Intel processor since the pentium 2 and i just happen to sport an ATI card in my main rig.

You sound like a delusional fanboi that cant come to grips with the fact that what i said will probably end up coming true...

I am really disappointed in ATI these days there STILL is no competition for the G80GTX and now their spending their time and resources on a small niche product instead of high end competition and all everyone in their corner can keep saying is "Wait for the new drivers" every time they release an underpowered card that cant compete.

The absolute worst part of it is the fanbois should be the ones being the hardest on ATI instead they keep buying their crap. We vote with our dollars regardless of what people think and the fact that this generation of ATI cards is still selling is sending a message to ATI saying "Dont worry about competition you can still have my money no matter what".

But like i said before i was bored and decided it would be funny and true.

Dont worry guys just wait for new drivers and it will get better i promise ;)

Coming from the power side of things, could we (US residents) pull enough power from an ordinary wall socket get enough juice for 4x4 systems? AMD has already proven that they're power management skills aren't working, for example the 2900x chips.

Edit: Phenom at 3.0ghz+ isnt coming out for another 6months or so, as stated on the overclockers.com site. So that means we wont really see any chips that can compete with intel until june next year, sort of like ati not being able to compete with nvidia all of 2007.

I know its not a PC, but the mac pro can run two quad core processors and 4x Geforce 7300

so technically, yes, quad SLI is possible...and 8 cores...and a max of 16GB ram.....for a meer $10k

No, quad SLI is only possible with the 7900GX2 x2 or 7950GX2 x2 video cards.

The cards were good, but the drivers sucked so much that many users didn't like it. Today's 8800GTS/GTX/Ultra cards blow these ones away though. They were the most powerfull DX9 video cards ever released, but since they can't do DX10 (and because of shitty drivers), they faded away into obscurity. Also they had a super-high price tag at the time.

As for the Mac, it can use 4 7300's at once, but it does not support SLI, let alone quad SLI. Each video card is working seperately from one another.

At my work (which I am at now), I have a Mac Pro behind me with a 7300GT in it. Potentially, it could use 4 single slot video cards. But Crossfire and SLI are not compatible with the Mac.

I guess it would be great if you needed 8 displays at once, but the Mac Pro was not designed for gaming, it was meant for high-end video editing and multimedia apps. I would never game on a Mac Pro (or any other Mac for that matter).

I was suprised though when I saw that it had 4 x16 PCI-E slots all running at the full x16 each. But that's what you pay for when you spend $4000.00 and beyond for a Mac Pro if its class. It can also hold 16GB of memory. Heh, I dare you to game on this machine. Maybe with Bootcamp you could (Win XP), but this machine just doesn't have the correct design for games. It can do it, but not very well.

Back