Can not login

Haven

Supreme [H]ardness
Last night we had to run out to the school for my son. I shut down my 2013 Macbook Pro Retina running Mavericks. Come back after the meeting and start it back up.

Now I can't get past the login screen. I do not have an AD domain, or anything like that, I just created a user account and force login as a security precaution. I can type in my password, it acts like normal, then the grey bar starts filling in, then it stops around 1/4 of the way. It just sits there for hours. I turn it off, I boot into safe mode and I am able to get in.

What should I be looking at to try to fix this? I tried removing Launch items, I tried renaming the com.apple.LaunchServices.*.csstore files. No luck.

Any other suggestions people have?

I made an appointment with the Apple Store after work, but I would prefer to cancel this and fix it myself. I would also prefer not to have to reload the little beast if I can avoid it.

Was the machine ever joined to an Active Directory? That stage of startup is when the OS checks for an AD server to authenticate against. Log in in single-user or safe mode and try resetting network settings and AD configurations: (note that you will have to re-add any authentication info for networks after this process)

Code:
rm -f /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist
rm -f /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

rm -f /Library/Preferences/OpenDirectory/Configurations/Search.plist
rm -f /Library/Preferences/OpenDirectory/Configurations/Contacts.plist

rm -f /Library/Preferences/OpenDirectory/Configurations/Active\ Directory/*
rm -f /Library/Preferences/OpenDirectory/DynamicData/Active\ Directory/*

Nope, never part of AD. I don't run AD at the house at all.

I removed the below files:

rm -f /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist
rm -f /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

That did not seem to fix it.

I did that last night. It stops right after it goes through printing things on the screen, then goes to an Apple Logo and a bar, it locks there and stops.

I didn't find anything on Google about that type of thing.

The Apple Store Genius checked some things and finally said we should try re-installing the OS. This fixed things.

He thought that maybe a file used during boot/login got corrupted.

I get home, and there is El Captain waiting to be installed. I am going to wait for a while before upgrading.

Back