Can not identify Unknown Device

m1abram

2[H]4U
Ok so I just finished putting together a new machine and have been installing device drivers and I have what I believe all drivers installed but for some reason I have in the device manager one Unknown Device. Below is what is currently installed in this machine:

Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless
AMD X2 4600+ AM2
BFG Nividia 7950GX2
X-Fi Platinum
Lite-on DVD burner SHM-165H6S
Logitech G15 keyboard
Logitech MX510 mouse
Seagate 7200.10 320GB HD

OK I disabled the following in the BIOS because I do not need these devices:
silicon SATA device
parallel port
onboard audio
nvidia raid

The following drivers are what I have installed:
nForce SATA, ethernet, smbus
nvidia video drivers
x-fi audio drivers
AMD Processor Driver including CoolnQuiet
Logitech G15 keyboard drivers
wireless driver for the builtin wireless

This system is on 32bit XP SP2, note I slipstreamed SP2 + hotfixes and the Nvidia SATA drivers. The rest was installed afterwards. I did not install any USB 2.0 drivers because I understand that those drivers have been added to SP1 and later.

In looking for what this Unknown Device could be I viewed the device manager by Connection instead of by Type. The unknown device appears under the ACPI branch and at the same level as the System Board device. Note it does NOT appear under PCI or USB. However not too sure if the connection listing is accurate if the device is unknown.

I know long post but trying to give as much info as possible for help. Any suggestions are welcome.

Just found this program
http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

Anyone have experience with it. I can not try til later since I am at work right now.

Read over on another forum that a user had a similiar problem with a different motherboard but found that the unknown device went away when they disabled AMB Live in the bios. Just more info for the search.

navicaph said:
Its probably for MCE's Away Mode.

That is what I am guessing to with more research, and since I am not running MCE I guess I do not get the driver to support it. Will test this evening and let people know the results.

If anyone else has other things I should look into if this is not the case please let me know. Hate building a new machine and have something out of place. If it is in fact the AMD Live I am fine disabling it, not something I would use.

It's probably the Asus ACPI utility. Here's a link to the driver I use:
http://www.oregonlan.com/misc/drivers/ACPI_Utility.zip
They are also buried on the CD-ROM that came with the motherboard. If you use the installation utility provided by Asus, it will automatically install them without asking. I, however, like to download the latest drivers instead of using them off the CD...

Ok update. It is in fact the AMD Live feature in the BIOS. I disabled the AMD Live in the Bios and the device went away.

Back